Any other hawaiians out there?

Pics
Online very bad Shipping tho I have 3 black and 1 silver I started with 5 each the silver did not do well all 4 died whith in a week and the blacks are violent I have to keep them Separated from each other or else I'll pick at each other until the reach Guts
From a hatchery or breeder? I want to get some but trying to avoid getting hatchery birds, want to get some from a breeder that will ship or a local breeder. Might have to settle for locally bred from hatchery parents.

I emailed people that were NPIP certified and selling silkie hatching eggs on ebay and wherever else I could find online. One person finally agreed to go through the trouble of getting an import permit for me from the Hawaii Dept of Agriculture. They charged extra for the permit and effort which I thought was fair. I received 12 eggs from Tennessee and 4 hatched - 3 hens and 1 rooster!

From a hatchery or breeder? I want to get some but trying to avoid getting hatchery birds, want to get some from a breeder that will ship or a local breeder. Might have to settle for locally bred from hatchery parents.
Their from a hatchery

Hello Everyone!

I'm in Oahu and have two pet ducks! I want to get more ducklings to raise but haven't found a place that sells live ducklings other than at pet stores from time to time. Unfortunately the pet stores mainly sell only muscovies or mallards and I am looking for a little more variety. Does anyone know where I can get ducklings (preferably not muscovies or mallards) in Oahu?

We finally have our coop built and need some chicks or hens here on the Big Island. We want to let the hens free range as we're on 5 acres. Our coop should accommodate about 12 chickens ( I will post photos after I finish assembly tomorrow). We would like a variety of breeds - we're mainly interested in having bug eaters and pets, but will enjoy the eggs too. If anyone here has any girls they'd part with, or have any chicks, please post here or pm us. Mahalo!

I'm going to set out some traps to thin out the mongoose here - anyone know the best bait to use for trapping them?

No need to actually waste eggs on the mongoose vermin if you like to poach eggs; I simply pour the water I use to poach eggs all over around and on the trigger plate in my trap, so it smells just like eggs but none are sacrificed to feed the horrid things.

Has anyone had problems with mongoose getting through 1 in. chicken wire?

Chicken wire is flimsy and worthless for anything but keeping chickens in. Only way I've found that works and has been legitimately secure is hardware cloth. 1/2" and 1/4" have both worked for excluding rats, mongoose, cats, dogs. Make sure you staple it down really well! Pull it tight before you do so there is no slack in it, otherwise a dog may be able to break through.

It's what I build all of my coops out of now. I'll be building some to sell in the future, but I can't walk or stay upright right now so it's gonna be until I heal.

Do are u currently still breeding silkies and if so do u have any available

George, I realize you posted this a while ago, but yes i still breed Silkies. This year has been pretty terrible (volcano, flooding, death in the family, illness and injuries) and it's majorly slowed down my chicken projects.

I will have a Red Silkie rooster (about 2 years old) for sale in perhaps a month and a half, and will have another younger Silkie cockerel for sale some time after that. No spare hens right now.

Will upload some photos of them when can.

Hi Hawaii peeps!!:cool:
I'm in Kekaha, Kauai. Thought I outta finally join the BYC community officially, as I've been silently stalking the forum for a while now (cant tell you how many @dawg53 posts I've screenshot!!)!
Fairly new to the chicken game, but having tons of fun so far with my 'lil backyard flock!!
Hey @LMat, neighbor, I know this is an old post from you but i'm hoping you are still checking into BYC. I'm about 9mos into my byc and diggin' it but always looking for local knowledge. K den.

Back
Top Bottom