Any other homeschoolers on here?

Hello from Virginia, we school our 3 daughters ages 8,13,and 17. We got tired of the teachers harrassing our kids and the kids on the bus would hit on our kids and the school would do nothing about it. The bus driver would actually drop out kids off at ther peoples driveways and bomb threats and we got really tired of it. :mad:

Our kids are on the A.C.E curriculum but during the summer I go to math-drills.com and old fashion education online and print off sheets for them. The way we school is ....we start in January and go to August or September. We give them October through December off since thos are very busy months with the preparations of Thanksgiving and Christmas.

I enjoy it when we go out and people ask "Why aren't you kids in school?" and my kids say "My Mom's my teacher." Makes me and Dad feel so good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

We are a home school family in Colorado. I am a single mom, work at home and home school my two boys, grades K and 2. I was a teacher in the private and public sector before deciding to stay home with my boys when my husband left. It's a great life working at home, having the boys with me all the time and looking out the back window to see the flock of chickens and three horses.

Glad to know there are others out there schooling at home!

Holly

Welcome Holly,

What part of Colorado are you in? We're in Elizabeth. We've been homeschoolers for over 6 years now and I wouldn't give it up for the world. I too am a single mom who works from home. Sorta - I travel out to the Eastern Plains for state farm inspections a few times a month and go into Denver for occassional meetings- but I make my own schedule.

Is everyone getting ready for summer yet? Man are we ever ready for a break. We've been doing 2 math lessons a day to complete the program early.

I'm in desperate need of a good 'ol fashion summer vacation!!
tongue.png

yippiechickie.gif
wee.gif

I am in Black Forest, just southwest of Elizabeth. I NEVER meet single mom's who home school! I am so happy to know there are other single moms out there working, caring for their children and teaching their children. You are amazing!

Been homeschooling my son for 7 years now, he loves it, I love it, I asked him if he wanted to go to PS for a day and see what its like but he is pretty sure he doesn't want to go even for one day.

Been homeschooling my 3 daughters for almost 4 years now and I wouldn't have it any other way. They love the fact that they can sllep until 7:00 am and do their work in their PJ's (which this only happens when we have nothing planned for the day). Praise the Lord for us being able to do this. I think this is what America needs to get back to.

I used to teach in the public school system and therefore NEVER wished to place my own children in those time-wasting peer-dependent institutions. There are folks who ask me "if you could afford it, would you send your children to a good private school?" My answer is "I'd rather take that tuition $$$ and hire a housekeeper to do my dirty drudge work in order to free up more TIME to spend learning with my children!"

We do a passion-driven lifestyle-learning method of homeschooling here. One of their best subjects is, of course, chickens!

Quote:
Why thanks Holly - you're just as amazing if I do say so myself. I've never actually met another single homeschooling mom in person either! A rare breed, I think. I cringe at how much time I had to spend away from my kids before homeschooling. I have one who just graduated and I'm pretty happy about how much influence I've retained in her life by being around all the time.

I can relate to everyone's posts it seems. My son has no desire to go to school because getting up for the bus everyday at 5 am - not his cup of tea.

Bigreyhorse - how fantastic that you've homeschooled for so long!

Every year that passes I'm amazed at how "mainstream" we've become. I love it!

I home school my 2 teenagers too. I have one in 10th and one in 9th this year and am still loving it!
We also use the A Beka DVDs and although tedious at times, I find they get everything they are supposed to and retain it very well.
They went to a pvt Christian school until the 3rd and 4th grade and I pulled them out and we've been happily home schooling ever since.
Tons of extra curricular activities and such available now that weren't when we started.

Glad to see so many chicken lovers that also home school!

Take care and great to "meet" you!
D.gif

We homeschool our two boys ages 6 and 7. We are loose eclectic/unschoolers, not sure which group to put us in
hmm.png
. We just bought our first three chicks and I already have lots of thoughts about how to use this experience to learn more than just how to take care of chickens. Maybe a project figuring out how much we save/spend doing it this way vs. buying organic eggs at the market...hmmmm. We love homeschooling and I can't imagine a time when my kids will be in PS. Glad to see so many other homeschoolers!

Heather

Back
Top Bottom