Any Reason to Keep a Cockerel?

If you have small children who help with chores and gather eggs you may not want to keep a rooster in a contained run.They can become territorial and aggressive at times. If you plan to let the hens hatch their own chicks and free range you need at least one rooster.
How does one deal with the territorial and aggressive times?

How does one deal with the territorial and aggressive times?
As hard as it is, you'll need to let them work it out between them. Having two roosters in a larger flock is not always a bad thing. Once dominance is established, the other becomes almost a lieutenant - but that only works if there is enough space for everyone.
As far as selling cockerels goes, that's a tough one. Unless they are a proven sire or a quality show bird, most roosters go for the price of dinner - which isn't much. If you can find a good home for a commercial hatchery bird - just hand him over!

Thank you. I guess I wasn't prepared for a human aggressive rooster.
Im sure it's frowned upon, but we just tell our kids to fight back. We have 5 boys under 12.

They arm themselves with sticks, nerf guns and anything else, and enjoy the challenge.

This doesn't account for a mature rooster who is mean. We would never keep one around. But the boys love working as a team when there is a feisty cockerel in town - and frankly it is entertaining to watch them go to battle.

"I got this!! Get the eggs, GO GO GO!" Says the 10 year old as he takes a warriors stance, while the 5 year old runs with a wicker basket flopping all over.

Im sure it's frowned upon, but we just tell our kids to fight back. We have 5 boys under 12.

They arm themselves with sticks, nerf guns and anything else, and enjoy the challenge.

This doesn't account for a mature rooster who is mean. We would never keep one around. But the boys love working as a team when there is a feisty cockerel in town - and frankly it is entertaining to watch them go to battle.

"I got this!! Get the eggs, GO GO GO!" Says the 10 year old as he takes a warriors stance, while the 5 year old runs with a wicker basket flopping all over.
Go over this with your boys (both human and avian!) It's THE BEST advice I've ever had (and used successfully!) for dealing with bad-mannered roosters.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...er-becomes-dinner.844018/page-4#post-12626931

Once dominance is established, the other becomes almost a lieutenant - but that only works if there is enough space for everyone.
This is exactly true.

You also need to montior the "lieutenant" closely. Just because he isn't being torn up in a fight, doesn't mean that he isn't being neglected. Sometimes the alpha won't let the beta eat.

We recently had a transition of power here and it was really kind of sad. We had an alpha rooster, whose name is honey for years, and a very awesome new hatch one year old, clearly has taken the helm. He was, and still attempts to food starve Honey.

This is exactly true.

You also need to montior the "lieutenant" closely. Just because he isn't being torn up in a fight, doesn't mean that he isn't being neglected. Sometimes the alpha won't let the beta eat.

We recently had a transition of power here and it was really kind of sad. We had an alpha rooster, whose name is honey for years, and a very awesome new hatch one year old, clearly has taken the helm. He was, and still attempts to food starve Honey.
Adding an extra feeder can help with that. Mine is behind a large log across the run from the main feeder. It's not a big one, just enough to let the more timid birds, like low-order hens and acclimating youngsters, eat in relative peace.

Adding an extra feeder can help with that. Mine is behind a large log across the run from the main feeder. It's not a big one, just enough to let the more timid birds, like low-order hens and acclimating youngsters, eat in relative peace.
This is a must.

Last week honey jumped into the goat pasture and has decided to live there, which is okay i suppose. Two older hens who don't lay much anymore have joined him. I think he officially retired 😂

Trying to feed them with the goats present is more of a challenge than with the other rooster though. But I think I got it.

Back
Top Bottom