Any Reason to Keep a Cockerel?

MSgt Mike

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 15, 2017
Farmersville TX
We have 5 - 3 year old hens and adding 17 chicks that we bought March 2 from Atwoods. The 17 are in an extended part of our coop with a barrier between so they can all see each other.
Today I confirmed my wife's suspicion that we have a cockerel. He's a beautiful black cochin with feathered feet. We've never free ranged our flock and don't intend to start because of predators and our coop is bullet proof. We have no need for fertilized eggs. That said, is there any reason to keep a cockerel? TIA.

The only reason you need a male is for fertilized eggs so you personally have no NEED for one.

The only reason you might keep one is for personal preference. Some people like to hear one crowing but many people do not. Some people like the way they look or the way they interact with the hens. Some people hate the way they interact with the hens. There is always the chance that a rooster can become human aggressive. Not all do but some roosters do. I don't know anybody that enjoys that but there are some sick people in this world.

I cannot come up with any reason to suggest you keep him.

Other than fertilization and free ranging, keep them if you like 'em. First off, the crowing. I love it. Then we've got the looks. Where even to begin. Huge combs, bright colors, upright posture. Nothing can beat a beautiful rooster in looks.
20230420_155328.jpg
As you can see, it's more of a personal thing

Other than fertilization and free ranging, keep them if you like 'em. First off, the crowing. I love it. Then we've got the looks. Where even to begin. Huge combs, bright colors, upright posture. Nothing can beat a beautiful rooster in looks. View attachment 3530317As you can see, it's more of a personal thing
Now those are some wattles. He’s a stud! I’m like you, I love a lot about them.

Other than fertilization and free ranging, keep them if you like 'em. First off, the crowing. I love it. Then we've got the looks. Where even to begin. Huge combs, bright colors, upright posture. Nothing can beat a beautiful rooster in looks. View attachment 3530317As you can see, it's more of a personal thing
thats a handsome man!

Back
Top Bottom