Any spinners out there? (Yarn)

Kusanar

Crowing
6 Years
Apr 30, 2014
Roanoke area, Va.
I just got my first drop spindle and made my first (tiny) ball of yarn! No idea what I'm going to do with it, it's only 28 grams and that wool is super course and scratchy and the rest I have is smooth and soft, so I don't want to put it in the project with the other ones.

20200803_195937.jpg

The single

20200805_144748.jpg

The 2 ply final result

20200805_150636.jpg

The actual yarn

20200805_152011.jpg

The selection I have to work with now. I have started with that milk chocolate one on the bottom left. Will possibly combine it and the other browns into something, maybe the black as well, the greys and whites will go well with each other too. I'm a little scared to try the stripy one right now, I figure I'll mess up the stripes and jsut make blobs, so I'll work that one up last.

I just started spinning!
I have been spinning my dog's fur, it's harder than the practice wool I started with, so I'm back to occasional lumps...
Lol, I am probably going to play with spinning my cats hair once I get the swing of things with the wool and a lady at work said she would bring me a bunch of floof from her Husky... so I may never run out of fiber! lol

Glad I'm not the only weirdo spinning pet hair... lol

Lol, I am probably going to play with spinning my cats hair once I get the swing of things with the wool and a lady at work said she would bring me a bunch of floof from her Husky... so I may never run out of fiber! lol

Glad I'm not the only weirdo spinning pet hair... lol
I've got a GSD/Malamute/Husky mix, her undercoat is amazingly soft, but the guard hairs are a pain in the behind. I wash each batch several times to get rid of the 'dog smell', and then treat with vinegar just to be sure. The carding is the worst part, and the spinning is the best.

If you're getting fiber from your co-worker's husky, just make sure the fur is at least 1.5" long, and is mostly free of guard hairs.
Happy to share any other tidbits about chiengora that I've learned- there isn't a whole lot of info about it.

Back
Top Bottom