Any SPLAY leg experts......or even someone who has a clue??

preciouspokey

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 10, 2009
A peachick hatched with splay leg. I know it really isnt funny but seriously.....you can't help but laugh. I have read about splinting legs to keep them in position. So I attempted it using ....don't laugh.....toilet paper and bandaids, it was all I had, seriously! Anyway, poor little guys legs are about 1/4 to 1/2 inch apart taped into position. Stood the little chap up and whoa, panic attack!! He kept falling over, couldn't stand, etc...I was scared to death we were going to end up with broken pieces parts instead of misguided ones. So then I wrapped him up in small soft towel and a few hours later......yep still in my lap sleeping happily. But now I am wondering exactly how long am I going to have a peachick attached to me? Did I do something really wrong? How long does this little "procedure" take? As far as the life and box of chocolate idea goes.....I am thinking this chocolate is full of nuts!! Any help appreciated. Any ideas, thoughts, shoot they can't be any worse than TP and bandaids right?
Thanks all.

I have try the 3 zip ties . one on each leg, then hook the two together with the 3 rd. leave it on for about 3 days.

I did that with 2 peachicks, both are fine now.

Well I put him in his "ankle bracelets" ......zip ties lol working great actually thank you for the heads up on it!!! Now to keep Miracle and Chickapea from pecking his ankles LOL. Didn't have black ones so had to use green.

I saw this on the UPA site:

STRADDLE LEGS
This problem can occur even if you take the precaution of having quarter inch hardware cloth under your peachicks. Sometimes it is caused by the struggles of a chick with its toes rolled into fists. In that case, both problems must be treated at the same time. I cut a piece of tape four or five inches long and from the HOBBLE BRACE with the legs far enough apart so that the peachick can walk. The tape must go the whole way around and cover its sticky side so that it does not stick to the peachick's fuzz when it sits down. Usually 24 hours of treatment is sufficient, but sometimes more is required. CHICK SHOES and the HOBBLE BRACE can be used at the same time.

Quote:
Steve most have nothing to do with genetics........so not pass to chicks. With proper footing in incubator ,you can put a stop to alot of this.

Quote:
Steve most have nothing to do with genetics........so not pass to chicks. With proper footing in incubator ,you can put a stop to alot of this.

I know that since I started culling all the chicks with leg issues the problem went away from our birds. Last year we bought some eggs and hatched them in the same 'bator and had splayed legs. Some eggs were shipped and some were from a local breeder that "fixes" them. I know you have been breeding pea's alot longer than me and I respect your knoweldge but from my experience I have seen a pattern and I'll stick with what works for me.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom