Any takers??

AliceaLy

Hatching
May 20, 2020
Hello! I've often visited this site for wonderfully helpful advice. In fact, I've been visiting quite a lot over the past few weeks to try and figure out why my "leghorn" baby chicks had such swollen bellies. Turns out the 6 chicks I bought at a local feed store weren't leghorns, as advertised, are in fact perfectly healthy Cornish Cross. I shared the news with my kids and that went over about as well as you'd imagine. They're 4 weeks old now so we have 4ish more weeks until processing. By any chance are there any Colorado people on here who would be interested?? Free to a humane butcher and hungry home. I've switched them to a 12 on/12 off feeding schedule. I'm happy to continue tending to these guys until processing day. I just know that my kids will probably never look at me again if they know that I personally slaughtered and fed them Squeaks Jr, Rizzo, Felicia, etc.

Hello! I've often visited this site for wonderfully helpful advice. In fact, I've been visiting quite a lot over the past few weeks to try and figure out why my "leghorn" baby chicks had such swollen bellies. Turns out the 6 chicks I bought at a local feed store weren't leghorns, as advertised, are in fact perfectly healthy Cornish Cross. I shared the news with my kids and that went over about as well as you'd imagine. They're 4 weeks old now so we have 4ish more weeks until processing. By any chance are there any Colorado people on here who would be interested?? Free to a humane butcher and hungry home. I've switched them to a 12 on/12 off feeding schedule. I'm happy to continue tending to these guys until processing day. I just know that my kids will probably never look at me again if they know that I personally slaughtered and fed them Squeaks Jr, Rizzo, Felicia, etc.
Might also trying the Colorado thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/colorado.68894/page-2928

@PirateGirl - any interest in CX?

When we got chickens, we had the talk with the kids about food. Biggest problem was the wife. :rolleyes: She elected not to participate in the raising and I'm good with that. DD#1 helps in the butchering.

@PirateGirl - any interest in CX?

When we got chickens, we had the talk with the kids about food. Biggest problem was the wife. :rolleyes: She elected not to participate in the raising and I'm good with that. DD#1 helps in the butchering.

None so far, unfortunately, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I think I could be down with more of a dual purpose bird in the future, which could help me out with extra roosters and such. But these Cornish Cross have pretty much the lifespan of a fly!

Oh, man, that's rough. Definitely ask on the state thread. I know if I was closer, I'd happily swap you out front some of my chicks, but I'm all the way in NY. But I've no doubt there's someone closer who'd do the same.

Back
Top Bottom