Any tips on duck breeding ?

looking to breed my ducks with other ducks later this year or next year then keep or sale the ducklings.

Any tips? I’m completely knew, but I’m mostly interested in breeding hybrids as a start.
I would find a pure breed you like and stick with it. Hybrids are pretty undesirable, and selling them just adds to the confusion. Sure they're cute and still nice pets but you'll get way more interest of you're selling good quality pure ducks. Focus on only one or two breeds and on improving them, only breeding the best of your stock.

Have deep enough water to ensure good fertility, usually a foot or so is plenty. Amd keep it very clean and accessible all the time. Drakes can prolapse their phallus easily and lack of water, especially clean water, is the main cause. It's pretty much untreatable and even if the duck would survive, they'll be unable to breed in the future.
Keep everything very clean and dry, and have a large pen, as large as possible. It'll stay cleaner and drier if it's big and you'll have less aggression.
Feed a high quality feed, nutrena layer is pretty good and I also offer purina catfish food and mealworms in breeding season. I use Mazuri breeder too for most of mine, but it's pricey so I either throw a scoop in the water daily or only give it to my more expensive birds. And get a good incubator. You get what you pay for, if you pay less than $100 you probably got a bad incubator. It may seem good at first but it'll fail usually.
I like NR 360s a lot. Even more than brinseas.
I know a guy that runs 20-30 nurture right 360s instead of buying a cabinet incubator, they're just that nice.

I would find a pure breed you like and stick with it. Hybrids are pretty undesirable, and selling them just adds to the confusion. Sure they're cute and still nice pets but you'll get way more interest of you're selling good quality pure ducks. Focus on only one or two breeds and on improving them, only breeding the best of your stock.

Have deep enough water to ensure good fertility, usually a foot or so is plenty. Amd keep it very clean and accessible all the time. Drakes can prolapse their phallus easily and lack of water, especially clean water, is the main cause. It's pretty much untreatable and even if the duck would survive, they'll be unable to breed in the future.
Keep everything very clean and dry, and have a large pen, as large as possible. It'll stay cleaner and drier if it's big and you'll have less aggression.
Feed a high quality feed, nutrena layer is pretty good and I also offer purina catfish food and mealworms in breeding season. I use Mazuri breeder too for most of mine, but it's pricey so I either throw a scoop in the water daily or only give it to my more expensive birds. And get a good incubator. You get what you pay for, if you pay less than $100 you probably got a bad incubator. It may seem good at first but it'll fail usually.
I like NR 360s a lot. Even more than brinseas.
I know a guy that runs 20-30 nurture right 360s instead of buying a cabinet incubator, they're just that nice.
Hey thank you so so much for this comment. I might do it later in next year if purebreds are better. I’ll look into their incubators!

I was thinking of making it a family business like many do. But as a start off I’ll start with my two and keep the ducklings (probably give away a few for space) since I currently only have mixes (wasn’t going for that, but that’s what I ended up with)
I will definitely use your advice

Back
Top Bottom