Any way this could be a pullet Salmon Faverolle? Hatchery stock and I got two and both have lots of

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sheherazae, May 24, 2012.

1. sheherazae

sheherazae Chirping

Apr 13, 2012
    Southwestern PA
    [​IMG]

2. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Songster

May 1, 2011
    My hatchery stock salmon faverolles pullet is very light colored...no black on her to speak of.

3. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    I might be. I've seen some real dark hatchery Salmon Fav. pullets.

4. OldChurchEggery1

OldChurchEggery1 Songster

Sep 27, 2011
    Virginia
    That looks like a cockerel to me. Salmon and Wheaten pullets should have a creamy colored breast, not black.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Is the glare just hiding the muffs/beard, or is it clean faced? Are the legs feathered and five toed?

6. JerseyHen

JerseyHen Songster

Feb 10, 2011
    Sussex County, NJ
  7. Schwartzfarmnc

Schwartzfarmnc Songster

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    I have one indentical to yours and she is 7 weeks, I think it's a hen just a bad coloring from the hatchery, more of a mahogony color rather than Salmon.

8. BckCntryBurrows

BckCntryBurrows In the Brooder

May 28, 2014
    Lucan, Ontario
    I have a few 3+ wk old with colouring coming in like this. At first I thought they were definitely going to be roos but now I have my doubts. There's definitely 2 ladies in the clutch of 6, but the rest I'm still guessing. One of the youngest ones is starting to get a bigger comb than some of the older ones with the russet feathers.
    Will try & post some pictures.

9. BckCntryBurrows

BckCntryBurrows In the Brooder

May 28, 2014
    Lucan, Ontario
    Who wants to play the sexing game? (That doesn't sound right...). There are three I'm pretty sure about and the other three that are up for debate:
    [​IMG] Chick #1 (Left) The lightest colouring of the group (& sweetest), likely going to be a Hen.
    Chick #2 (Right) Darker feathers coming in, larger comb, my guess is 'Roo

[​IMG] Chick #3 Lighter feathers, small comb, very posture-y & strut-y though. Likely top pecking order Hen

[​IMG] Chick #4, Chick #5 - Still questioning these two. Both have medium brown feathers coming in all over. Small combs still.

[​IMG] Chick #2 (roo) and Chick #1 (hen) again - better profile pic to see diff in comb size. The 'roo is the youngest of the group

[​IMG] Chick #5 again. Still questionable. Colouration is coming in uniformly. I have seen pullets/hens this dark before

[​IMG] [​IMG] Chick #6 (center in both photos). 2nd youngest. Smaller comb, smaller size, Medium brown feathers coming in over black tips. No idea.

[​IMG]Group shot (left to right): #1 Hen?, #3 Hen?, #2 (back) Roo?, #4 (front), #6, #5

10. keesmom

keesmom Crowing

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    In the last shot I see 4 pullets and 2 cockerels. The two males are behind in the feathering department.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: