Any way to catch or kill a hawk....suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Rather than depending on us then, why dont' you call fish and game and ask them about the regulations. Then you will have the facts in your area and know the consequences.
cool.png

There are more responsible ways in this instance to protect your flock than killing. Hawks are an inconvenience you will need to learn to live with and protect your flock with other measures like overhead covers. If you decide to free range them, you need to provide them with multiple shelters to hide under and put up as much overhead cover as you can. string wire/or fish line, hang CDs, etc.
Some people have had good luck with crow decoys as well. It helps bring in other crows and the crows run off the hawks.
And finally, if you free range, you will occassionally lose chickens. It is a trade off.
Good luck.

I have one more suggestion. If you are feeding any wild birds, the hawk is hanging around to catch a free, easy meal. Stop feeding, the wildbirds will leave, and the hawk will have to look elsewhere for it's supper.
DO NOT KILL THE HAWK !!!!!

Jen

You cannot kill or move any bird protected by the Migratory Bird Treay Act without a permit, period. You can apply for a permit if you submit evidence of the problem to your regional office. In the meantime you may as well have just secured your coop, chances are they'll say no.

Migratory birds may seek respite within trees or on buildings considered private property. The Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918 prohibits the removal of all listed species or their parts (feathers, eggs, nests, etc.) from such property. The Migratory Bird Treaty Act (MBTA) prohibits the hunting, taking, capturing, or killing of any migratory bird. However, in extreme circumstances, a federal permit might be obtained for the relocation of listed species (in some states a state permit is required in addition to a federal permit). Pursuant to the spirit of the treaty, it is not trivial to obtain a permit; the applicant must meet a certain criteria as outlined in Title 50, Code of Federal Regulations, 21.27, Special Purpose Permits

From the US Fish and Wildlife Service

As authorized by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service issues permits to qualified applicants for the following types of activities: falconry, raptor propagation, scientific collecting, special purposes (rehabilitation, educational, migratory game bird propagation, and salvage), take of depredating birds, taxidermy, and waterfowl sale and disposal. Migratory bird permit policy is developed by the Division of Migratory Bird Management and the permits themselves are issued by the Regional Bird Permit Offices. The regulations governing migratory bird permits can be found in 50 CFR part 13 (General Permit Procedures) and 50 CFR part 21 (Migratory Bird Permits).​

Look up any falconry clubs or falconers in your area or state. Even if you call a State-level club, they'll know somebody reasonably close to you. Folks with a Falconry license can trap a hawk and keep it to hunt with, or relocate it. I have a buddy with a falconry license I'm going to get to do that... got a few hawks around here who have been getting very, very bold.

I keep things around for my chickens and ducks to get under. They can always get back into the coop quickly, under some trees or shrubs, we keep a utility trailer out in the yard close to where they free range and they get under that sometimes too.

I have heard of Fish and Game in some states giving permission to eliminate a pest raptor, but you have to call them... I'm sure some offices will give you a permit, and some will refuse. I bet most of them would gladly help put you in touch with a falconer to trap it though.

Raptors are no longer endangered, they're very common now. I think it's ridiculous that the Federal Govt keeps them protected like they're at the brink of destruction, and just turns a mostly blind eye to losses that farmers and poultry owners have because of them. That's not preserving the animals, that's just forcing the Serfs to absorb the cost so some activists and govt officials can have a little feel-good eco moment imo. They're magnificant creatures, but you shouldn't have to sit helpless and watch them destroy your livestock or pets, that's absolutely unjust.

Falconers apply for a permit to own a raptor. They do not apply to take birds from the wild to use in falconry. Much the same as taxidermists apply for a permit to handle raptors, not to kill them to stuff.

be pro active! Net your coop or deal! Killing a hawk will get you in some trouble. Totally not worth it!!! Some people hang old CD's on lines cause the flashes freak out the hawks and they don't fly in that area(hence your coop)

And if you do kill the Hawk, just know another one will come! That's why it's better to be pro-active than re-active............good luck

Quote:
They trap the birds in the wild. Trust me, I know at least a half dozen falconers. None of them got their red tailed hawk at Petsmart.
wink.png

Quote:
Your not supposed to trap and release any critter to be honest. So let me ask you this.........Can you shoot a man that is harming your livestock? Nope
Now with critters......coons, possum, snakes etc are not protect so YES, by all means kill them if they are harming your livestock!!!
raptors being protected, some endangered are exempt from that "right to defend your livestock" which ISN'T in every state
wink.png

The hawk doesn't know your birds are your property they just think of it as another meal. Do not harm the hawk please. First its wrong second its illegal. Be a responsible owner and protect your birds with netting over your run. Hang some CDS around the place. Or if you cannot protect them get rid of them.

Let me make this clear I'm not saying I agree or think he should kill a hawk. But if he does qualify for a permit he could do so. Second I know my fare share about the rules and regulations for raptors in my state as I have taken the falconer exam, read countless books on birds of pray, and have a huge packet of all the rules dealing with raptors. And yes there are many different means someone could use to help discourage the hawk from coming around. I just know how he is feeling because I have lost several ducks to owls. Did I shoot the owls NO I made sure I had better protection against them and made sure all my ducks were penned for the night. Another point I want to add to the original poster is, why would you post this. Do you want negative attention that bad or could you really not think of a way to get ride of a hawk or better protect your fowl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom