Any way to stop crowing/loud hens?!

BJBR

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 22, 2014
So I have two D'uccle bantam hens and they have recently decided to be incredibly loud! One of them has started crowing every day, and they both squawk constantly. It's actually more like a scream! It's ear piercing, definitely not an "egg song." I live in the city, and it's not technically legal for me to have them, and while my neighbors know about them, I obviously can't allow them to run around screaming at the top of their lungs all day. They are definitely both hens, I have seen them both lay eggs. They basically get free range of the yard though recently I've been having to bring them inside because they're so loud I know it's disturbing to my neighbors. Does anyone have any ideas how to stop this behavior? I don't want to get rid of them, I love them dearly!

Last edited:
So I have two D'uccle bantams hens and they have recently decided to be incredibly loud! One of them has started crowing every day, and they both squawk constantly. It's actually more like a scream!Lan, definitely not an "egg song." I live in the city, and it's not technically legal for me to have them, and while my neighbors know about them, I obviously can't have allow them to run around screaming at the top of their lungs all day. They are definitely both hens, I have seen them both lay eggs. They basically get free range of the yard though recently I've been having to bring them inside because they're so loud I know it's disturbing to my neighbors. Does anyone have any ideas how to stop this behavior? I don't want to get rid of them, I love them dearly!

so they are definitely hens and aren't making the egg song? do you mean like "SCRAWAW SCRAWSCRAW"? hard to write sounds tho lol
I'm not sure I'll have a look around

Definitely hens, I've had them for almost two years and they just started doing it a few months ago.
I can't get them to stop! It's so frustrating. I tried to find a video on YouTube of what they sound like and I can't really find anything like it, but one of them is definitely attempting to crow and she does it every morning until about noon. Aside from the crowing, they both do a crazy loud, drawn out SQUAWWWKKKKKKKK constantly.

Last edited:
Definitely hens, I've had them for almost two years and they just started doing it a few months ago.
I can't get them to stop! It's so frustrating. I tried to find a video on YouTube of what they sound like and I can't really find anything like it, but one of them is definitely attempting to crow and she does it every morning until about noon. Aside from the crowing, they both do a crazy loud, drawn out SQUAWWWKKKKKKKK constantly.

you mean more like: AWRK AWRK AWRK AWRK AWEERK! ? one of our hens does that but we are on a property so it doesn't brother us,
it seems strange your hen is attempting to crow, the do rarely do that but not very often, i think it means their unhappy, do they have soft dirt to bathe in?

They have it all! Dirt, bugs, sun, grass, tons of room, spacious coop... I can't see any reason for her to be unhappy. The only thing I've read is that some hens, in the absence of a rooster, will take on the role of a rooster and begin crowing and even trying to mount other hens! I just wish she'd figure out on her own that she's a girl!

I just picked up a new hen who the owner couldn't keep anymore because she said she started crowing! We will see what happens tomorrow but I also heard its because they are the dominate hen in the flock. She said if you put them in a new flock sometimes they will stop.

I just picked up a new hen who the owner couldn't keep anymore because she said she started crowing! We will see what happens tomorrow but I also heard its because they are the dominate hen in the flock. She said if you put them in a new flock sometimes they will stop.

I don't have experience with crowing hens, but this idea makes sense to me -- maybe if they were introduced to another chicken, crowing hens will feel less dominant as a new pecking order is established. If I ever have this problem, I may try that.

Last edited:
They have it all! Dirt, bugs, sun, grass, tons of room, spacious coop... I can't see any reason for her to be unhappy. The only thing I've read is that some hens, in the absence of a rooster, will take on the role of a rooster and begin crowing and even trying to mount other hens! I just wish she'd figure out on her own that she's a girl!

one of our hens did that
roll.png

Yeah, as far as I know the only way to make her stop is by putting her into a new flock, preferably with a rooster. I was just hoping I wouldn't have to :( I'm quite attached to them and would have a hard time trusting they would be properly taken care of and happy in their new home, considering they've been quite spoiled.
I wouldn't think she's lonely, these hens are very close, they act like mother and daughter! They're together 99% of the time and even sleep under each others' wings. The weirdest part is the one that is crowing is the less dominant of the two... The other one has a much more dominant personality than the crowing one. It's a very bizarre situation, that's for sure!

Back
Top Bottom