Any writers out there????

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Jajika, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Jajika

Jajika Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2007
    Northern California
    Hi Folks...

I love to wander among the chicken's when I'm frustrated or stuck for a word or thought as I'm writing.

It seems my little girls are my best muse.

Also, no matter what is going on in my life--little issues here an there, my sweeties always make me laugh.

So---writers? Anyone?

I'm a former jounalist, reporter and half-baked photographer.

I prefer non-fiction...but will write some flash-ficiton if pressed.

Geri Spieler

2. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello Geri
    I love to write and would some day love to write a book. Never have done anything professionally but always had the notion to. I write childrens stories, tech guides, info shorts and adult fantasy. I used to do graphic design and concept work. I have a lot of great ideas and concepts floating around, I just need to get busy and do something with them.
    Eric

3. birdsofparadise

birdsofparadise Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    North Kohala, Hawaii
    Geri, we╩╗re all writing non-fiction (hopefully) here. Although librarians might categorize this as applied science or agronomy.

Is it bad karma to eat your Muse?

4. rjv_piper

rjv_piper Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Utah
    I love to write! I also love reading. [​IMG] (I've got a great book right here I've been reading today that I just got from the library. I haven't put it down much...) I'm a writer, not a speller. I love spell check. [​IMG] But yes, I love writing. My short story "Home" took first place at the AjPHA. It was very fun to write. The school is starting a newspaper. I'm going to go talk to my teacher about it. I think it'd be really fun. I'd really love to do book reviews, but I'll write anything really. [​IMG] [​IMG] I love writing! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Jajika

Dec 24, 2007
    Northern California
    Wow---what a great response...so fast. [​IMG]

I am a writer from my chicken-pooped clogs all the way up to my eyebrows.

Started out in high school keeping a journal. Became a newspaper reporter, crime and court.

Went into business reporting..more money.

Moved to technology reporting..even more money.

Recruited to a technology advising company...even more money.

Got laid off during the Dot Bomb...no money

Began to free-lance, loved it but not regular. Joined a writers club and met a ton of people with lots of great writing experience.

Went to writers conferences, began to write a book for the very first time. Stuff I'd thought about but couldn't conceive until I surrounded myself with lots and lots of writers who had stuff to share.

Wrote the book, got an agent, book comes out in Jan. No, not self-published.

Ya just never know. Writing is wonderful, but it doesn't compare to my chickens in terms of love and affection. I still go out to the chicken yard several times a day to get a dose of Hanna Banana.

So, all of you, tell me more

6. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    I love to write, but I doubt anyone else would consider me officially a "writer", LOL.

Most of the time when I try really hard to write something specific like a sci-fi novel, it doesn't work out. The ideas and outline are great, but creating the actual text is difficult.

I have never forgotten the adage: "Write what you know". Most of what I know is tragedy and heartbreak, and I am not willing to turn that out into the world! I want to write stuff that helps, inspires or makes people laugh.

When I am not trying, and just write a short story or something, it comes out naturally and turns out pretty good. Now if only that would work at novel length, I'd maybe go somewhere with it!

Editing other people's work seems to be my forte... at least for now! [​IMG]

DH is in the middle of writing a screenplay, and I imagine I'll get to edit that. [​IMG]

7. MommaLyd

MommaLyd Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2007
    Punta Gorda, FL
    I've always been told that my "gift" is words but have not figured out what exactly to do with them yet. I do write (amongst other things) for a free online biker magazine... www.whitelinemagazine.com. In fact, my banty hen Sadie was "chick of the month" one time. No banners, no popups, just like a magazine and you can even print it out at home. It's a clean mag too...nothing bad and even the rugrats can have a look. If there are any other writers out there with tales from the road, jokes, events, etc, submit them to the magazine...that's what we are all about - it's every biker's mag.
    I would LOVE to find my nitch in writing. How do you go about publishing a book anyway???

8. Jajika

Dec 24, 2007
    Northern California
    No one has to "bless" you officially to be a writer.

What is said about writers is true, though:

"The only thing more painful than writing is not writing."

If you like to write...then you are a writer. If you never publish anything anywhere...you are still a writer.

I have to laugh about how hard it is to write the story, when the ideas are so great. This is sooo true!!!

I love doing the research for a book. The wrting part was miserable.

I think it is great to write for organizations you belong to, such as newsletters or local weeklies.

If you are interested in publishing an article or poem, a good way is to find the non-profit pubs that "pay" in copies.

I began writing for free just to get the "clips." If another publications asks where you have been published, you can list anything. They don't ask if you were paid!

In terms of "writing what you know," I think that is overused. It's fine to write something out of your area of expertise, as long as you do your homework and research things you don't know about.

For example: if you don't know how to play tennis, and your character is playing tennis, you better learn the lingo, otherwise you lose all credibility with your reader. Or editor..

I still say one of the smartest things I did was join the writers club. Meeting all those other writers was a huge help.

I'm speaking at the Dec. 13 meeting about my experience with the publishing industry. It was not fun. This is my topic:

"And to Think I Asked for This? Onerous tasks of book publishing I won't repeat"

Geri Spieler reveals her fear, insecurity & shame as a first time author

Tell me what it is like being an editor. I'd love to understand that more.

9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:chicabee..i think you can write!..and you do it very well!

10. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    I love to write, am in the process of writing a book "The Dynamic World of Dyslexia" "A Parents Overview" but being dyslexic I am so thankful for spellcheck! It is purely about my experiences of dyslexia from my own (miserable) schooldays - up to and including my son's experience of discalculia present day. it has not been an easy subject to write about as so much has already been published on the matter......however nothing ventured, nothing gained. maybe someday it will be published, who knows, but for me I enjoy "lifting the pen" I do however LOVE to write poetry, nothing fancy, just words from the heart. I see something am moved by it and all of a sudden the words charge through my head. Mostly though I have written poems for my family, recently wrote a poem called "The Fluffy Butts" which is all about the rescued battery hens I have (55 of them!).....it IS being published in a "hen" magazine...... can't wait to see my name in print.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by