Anybody going to be hatching around March 22?

Okay I candled a few and they looked clear but you could see a dark spot, the yolk maybe? I didn't see any veins yet but I will try again in a couple of days. My green egg was harder to see through then my brown, isn't that crazy?

I am on my third hatch this year and have had no odor at all. I think if you leave infertile eggs in the incubator you could get smells but I have't had that happen either even when I had a 23 day egg that never hatched and was no good. I crack all of mine that don't hatch just to see what happened.
Gina
smile.png

OK, at three days you won't see much of anything. Wait until a week or so and then you will see more. You should be able to see the air cell and a large round dark area. Larger than the round area you are seeing now.

Huny, don' t worry about no turner and no fan. You will do just fine if you turn your eggs yourself three times a day a half turn. The fan makes the temp more even in the bator but it doesn't have to be that way. Just make sure your temp and your humidity is correct. The most important being the humidity. If it is wrong, either too high or too low your chicks will stick in the eggs. They will also stick if you aren't religious about turning them.

Good luck to both of you. I have been using a Hovabator still air, no fan and it has been fine once I figured out what to do with it. The wafer thermostats can be tricky. I use a home made styrofoam bator as my hatcher.

Gina
smile.png

Hiya, folks...
I have our first hatch due on the 22nd as well - how funny!
We had a BLRW roo until four days ago - he died by way of injuries from a predator while defending a wayward Polish pullet. We were so sad we threw in a dozen eggs somewhat spontaneously into a borrowed Hovabator... The more I read about this process the more I wonder if we will get anything at all on this first try!

Haven't candled yet, but somewhere I have one of those tiny maglites that should do the trick. Question is can I wait for 7 days to do it??

Best of luck to everyone!!!

Back
Top Bottom