Anybody going to be hatching around March 22?

Mine are due a few days later than all yours - probably the 26th, Bourbon Red Turkeys and a few mutt chickens BA/BR or BA/PR depending on papa. They're in there for company in case any of the poults hatch. The whole thing is an experiment in any case.

One: the bator is a homemade one out of metal cooler
Two: the bourbon reds are in their first season
Three: many of the eggs were found cold

So even one out of a set of catches like that would be a modern miracle.

Still free eggs are worth a go. And you have to keep trying to learn anything.

Quote:
Check again at day 7. With a white egg it should be clear if they are developing by then.
The bubbles I'm not sure about, are you talking about the air cell at the top or bubbles everywhere? were they shipped?
There are some good candling posts w/ pics in this forum that can give you a good idea what you should be seeing.
Do a search on "candling" you'll see some of them.

Walkswithdog,
Keep us posted on your hatch...I'm interested in hearing about those turkeys. Would like to try that myself, too.
Carolyn

I set 12 mutt eggs under a broody BR on Sunday, so I should have babies by the 22nd. I've had a broody hatch eggs before, but we didn't monitor when she started setting, and didn't know about candling, so in a way this will be my first experience. I am going to candle on Sunday at day 7, and then not touch them again.

My roos are a silver-laced polish and a silver-spangled hamburg. The hens the eggs are from are EE's (3 of them), and 9 unknown white eggs. My white-egg girls are white and brown leghorns, black and buff minorcas, silver-spangled hamburgs, and silver-laced and buff-laced polish. So the babies will be interesting crosses, with a slight possibility of pure polish and hamburg babies.

I had no idea that BR's would go broody, and was pleasantly surprised when I realized that she'd gone hormonal on me. I only wish I had my long-coveted blue silkie eggs to put under her.

If you have air bubbles, then they somehow got shaken and may not be any good. I would candle at one week and you should be able to tell if they are developing. If you have an egg that is obviously a "floater" then it probably isn't any good.
I call floaters the ones that have air bubbles other than the air sack at the large end of the egg.
Gina
smile.png

It depends on how far along it is. At first it may look like it's floating a little but it shouldn't be sloshing around in there.
If your eggs are dark they will be difficult to candle unless you have a very strong flashlight or candler.
Gina
smile.png

i have 24 mixed eggs in the oven. i hope they turn out good. this is my first time. i have had 33% humidty and a temp from 92 to 101 every day to night. they are in a unheated shop that is well insullated. wife don't want them in the house.

A temp of 92 to 101 is going to be a problem if it fluctuates that much often. Eggs need a more stable temp control, ideally as close as possible to 99.5 to 100.5
Your humidity is also too low. 50 to 55% during incubation and 60 to 65% the last five days of the hatch. That is the problem with having an incubator outside. There is too much temp fluxuation.
Isn't there any room in the house with a stable air temp that your wife wouldn't mind them being in? They really aren't a problem.
Gina
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom