Anybody here a libertarian?

Quote:
No kidding - when I was in high school back before fire was invented, it was easier for kids to get drugs (up to and including cocaine!) than alcohol. The kids that wanted drugs just had to go talk to the kid that everyone knew was selling it - usually because his dad or brother or cousin was selling it, too.

I went to school in a town of 13,000 lest anyone think it's something that only happens in the city.

Far as I'm concerned, it being illegal did nothing to hamper the sales.

To me 13,000 is a city. If a town is so big that you can't recognize 90 percent of the population on sight, it's too big. JMHO

Quote:
No kidding - when I was in high school back before fire was invented, it was easier for kids to get drugs (up to and including cocaine!) than alcohol. The kids that wanted drugs just had to go talk to the kid that everyone knew was selling it - usually because his dad or brother or cousin was selling it, too.

I went to school in a town of 13,000 lest anyone think it's something that only happens in the city.

Far as I'm concerned, it being illegal did nothing to hamper the sales.

To me 13,000 is a city. If a town is so big that you can't recognize 90 percent of the population on sight, it's too big. JMHO

I hear ya, 13,000 around here is the BIG CITY.

Why does it matter??? Our votes dont count anyway. Unless you are a delegate.
idunno.gif

And, the only thing gun-free zones are good for, is creating a haven for psycadelic mass-murderers to do their deed without hinderance. Including schools.

omelette'smom :

In response to some, marriage is a religeous union between a man and a woman. Abortion is taking of a life. Death penalty helps cleanse the gene pool. Marijuana is illegal and should stay that way. I also believe my kids should be allowed to high five again. Girls should be able to hug again. The children are on eggshells. It's sad. We, as a society, have condemned all natural acts and feelings and overly embraced homosexuality and reverse descrimination with a smile and our pockets. The law is set up to protect the criminal and not the victim. There are loopholes and wormholes and ...holes. What party would that be?

This thread is going crazy. Wow.

OMom, please let me reply to your points in a way you may not have heard
or considered.

Marriage is a religious union, I agree. It's also a legal contract enforced
by our government. Citizens fighting over issues like this, even ones
on the same side like you and I, do nothing but distract from real issues.
This should be a personal, church based, or even a state issue, not
a federal one.

Abortion is murder. I agree. Unfortunately Roe V Wade was passed
over 30 years ago and there is no going back. Repealing that now would
destroy the lives and health of thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands,
of women. I don't know of many people who wake up and say "today
I want to have an abortion". There is no easy answer for this one.

The death penalty is an issue that really confuses me. As a Christian I
believe the only true judge is God therefore I am against the death
penalty. Another issue is it costs more to put someone to death than
it does to house them in a jail for life. The only time I support taking
a human life is when it's in defense of another life.

One of the strengths of the Libertarian party is it says that government
has no business in many of these controversial issues and I agree with
it.

You are correct that forms of liberalism have turned everyone into
victims and taken descrimination to the opposite extreme of what it
was 100 years ago.​

Quote:
I saw the Fairtax lesson. That was good. Am I missing anything?

I hope you aren't disappointed in me for my liberal social views. Remember
I'm from CT and you know all us dang Yankee Republicans are Country
Club Repubs.
tongue.png

Quote:
They rolled up a lot of tiny towns in with the bigger town. The tiny town I grew up in was 30 miles away from the bigger town, and the population was and still is about 100. Yeah, you know everyone and you know who lived there before, and who lived there before them...

Quote:
This thread is going crazy. Wow.

OMom, please let me reply to your points in a way you may not have heard
or considered.

Marriage is a religious union, I agree. It's also a legal contract enforced
by our government. Citizens fighting over issues like this, even ones
on the same side like you and I, do nothing but distract from real issues.
This should be a personal, church based, or even a state issue, not
a federal one.

Abortion is murder. I agree. Unfortunately Roe V Wade was passed
over 30 years ago and there is no going back. Repealing that now would
destroy the lives and health of thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands,
of women. I don't know of many people who wake up and say "today
I want to have an abortion". There is no easy answer for this one.

The death penalty is an issue that really confuses me. As a Christian I
believe the only true judge is God therefore I am against the death
penalty. Another issue is it costs more to put someone to death than
it does to house them in a jail for life. The only time I support taking
a human life is when it's in defense of another life.

One of the strengths of the Libertarian party is it says that government
has no business in many of these controversial issues and I agree with
it.

You are correct that forms of liberalism have turned everyone into
victims and taken descrimination to the opposite extreme of what it
was 100 years ago.

Marriage comes in two forms. There is legal marriage and there is religious marriage. Personally, I think we should shift the language and use the term marriage for the union of two people in the eyes of the church (whichever church you may belong to) and use a different term for the legal contract which could be recognized by the government (i.e. civil union, domestic partnership, etc.) and available to couples regardless of sexual orientation.

Personally, I can't see how someone can be against abortion because it is the "taking of a life" but be for the death penalty. Anyone want to clarify this for me? In terms of the gene pool..well, Hitler was also for eugenics.

Also, as someone who works in the middle of the criminal justice system, I have to say that the law does not protect "criminals" but ensures that people accused of a crime have certain rights so that they are not incarcerated by a government without rhyme or reason. Wait until you or someone you love is accused of a crime, and then tell me how fair you think the system really is.

I am not trying to start a fight. I like a healthy discussion, and the variety of viewpoints.

I'm looking right now for an online copy of the report from DHS. The one i viewed last night has seemed to vanish. A note about that... conservative talk radio host Michael Savage announced on his show today that he has filed a law suit against Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano for her remarks regarding veterans. Will be interesting to see how this turns out.

Okay, here's the link. This is not the DHS site, but this is a copy of the report.\\

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/5410658/DHS-Report-on-Right-Wing-Extremism

Back
Top Bottom