anybody raise sprouts to feed the chickens?

Quote:
Karen, I have been in correspondence with Mike at plotspike. While the seed is not organic, they are also not genetically modified, but selectively bred. Also, they should be excellent for sprouting....just what I want! Thank you very much for the info

Ginny

========
Hi Ginny!
Great news! Thanks so much for his info! I looked around a while last night but couldn't find this info!
Thanks for the extra work!
Best,
Karen

Quote:
Karen, I have been in correspondence with Mike at plotspike. While the seed is not organic, they are also not genetically modified, but selectively bred. Also, they should be excellent for sprouting....just what I want! Thank you very much for the info

Ginny

========
Hi Ginny!
Great news! Thanks so much for his info! I looked around a while last night but couldn't find this info!
Thanks for the extra work!
Best,
Karen

my pleasure!!

I found some pearled barley at the grocery store! Is this the same as and or good enough to sprout for chickens?

I also found BOSS and boy is it pricey! Booth feeds wants $14.00 for 50lbs!

Last edited:
Lol, that's what I had thought also, theres a recipe on the back of the bag for Barley mushroom pilaf, it sounds pretty tasty! It appears to be open hulls through out so I'm thinking about trying to sprout just a little and see what happens. This thread has me constantly thinking about sprouting for my flocks!

Take a look at the thread "Wheat sprout feeder" in the feeding and watering your flock section it is toooooo coooool!

It has great photos, too.
big_smile.png

HI!
big_smile.png

Well it's snowing again here in western PA
lol.png
Can anyone help me with advice? Looks like i will be sprouting my oats in soil.
I have Miracle Gro potting soil. The kind which feeds the plants for 6 months and has that stuff which keeps the soil from
drying out. Ok, If I sprout the seeds in that soil and cut squares of the sod to fed to the chickens.... will the extra amendments
to the soil hurt the chckens or their eggs?
Thanks,
Karen

Back
Top Bottom