anybody raise sprouts to feed the chickens?

I have four large glass jars (can't get them anymore) so that the first one is soaking and the last, dryer one ready to feed. I rinse them once a day, and feed one jar. Light is important and so is temperature, and so is the source of grain. If I want wheat grass I put it in something flat, like a 9x13 glass cake pan.
It's messy and bothersome, but it makes the best eggs.
In the summer I can poke holes in a bucket (cat litter bucket last year) and rinse it outside. Much easier!~

I have four large glass jars (can't get them anymore) so that the first one is soaking and the last, dryer one ready to feed. I rinse them once a day, and feed one jar. Light is important and so is temperature, and so is the source of grain. If I want wheat grass I put it in something flat, like a 9x13 glass cake pan.
In the summer I can poke holes in a bucket (cat litter bucket last year) and rinse it outside. Much easier!~
I just purchased some 1/2 gal wide mouth glass Ball jars from Ace Hardware. ($12.99/6 jars) Walmart had them for $11.99 but they were out of stock. I had been using BPA free plastic sprouting lids on quart size glass jars to sprout grains. I had at 12 going at a time plus a soaking container. I am 1 week into using the larger jars. I fill them just under half full with grain, soak in water over night, drain, then rinse twice a day for 3 days. The jars are filled with sprouted grains by day 3 and my flock loves them! So now at night I have 8 jars sitting there but during the day I only have 6. The bigger jars are heavier to work with but so far I am pleased with the reduction in work and space required.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Sprout-Ho...&qid=1394220851&sr=8-2&keywords=sprouting+lid

Last edited:
I just purchased some 1/2 gal wide mouth glass Ball jars from Ace Hardware. ($12.99/6 jars) Walmart had them for $11.99 but they were out of stock. I had been using BPA free plastic sprouting lids on quart size glass jars to sprout grains. I had at 12 going at a time plus a soaking container. I am 1 week into using the larger jars. I fill them just under half full with grain, soak in water over night, drain, then rinse twice a day for 3 days. The jars are filled with sprouted grains by day 3 and my flock loves them! So now at night I have 8 jars sitting there but during the day I only have 6. The bigger jars are heavier to work with but so far I am pleased with the reduction in work and space required.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Sprout-Ho...&qid=1394220851&sr=8-2&keywords=sprouting+lid
Hi,
Hold off one more day. The 4th day is the magic day when some nutrients transform and the sprouted oats become green feed instead of grain feed

. ~~ Description of nutritive values of sprouted oats at different stages of growth.
National Barred Rock Journal, Volumes 7-21 International Plymouth Rock Journal
http://tinyurl.com/4b6hyeb
GREEN FEED FOR POULTRY
By C. W. Ashing, Laurel. Iowa
There are a great many poultry raisers who are now just raising a small bunch of chickens each year and keeping only a couple of dozen hens, that would dearly love to get into the poultry game on a little larger scale; that would like to raise poultry and keep enough hens each winter to make it a paying proposition. Of course it pays, even with a few, but it would be so much better if this flock was expanded until it is a real paying business. Those with only a back yard for range have always considered this impossible, thinking that it would be necessary to have an acre or two of ground for range for this purpose, but since it has been proven that poultry can be raised and kept in confinement the year 'round and made to pay, a great many people are realizing an ambition to raise poultry that they thought was beyond their reach. The big drawback with poultry in confinement has always been the lack of a reliable supply of succulent green feed, and of course this is an absolute necessity both for the laying hens and for the growing stock. Sprouted oats is by far the most convenient and best for this purpose and at the same time costs the least. Besides sprouted oats carry vitamine "E" which is claimed by government authorities to have a direct influence upon the reproductive organs of* both the male and female. Consequently it not only produces an abundance of eggs right at the time when they are worth the most, but at the same time transmits strength and vigor through the male to the germ of the egg, and the result is bigger hatches and stronger birds, because they have strength and vigor handed down to them from the parent stock. Then for your chicks and maturing pullets sprouted oats are about the finest thing in the world. If you feed the sprouted oats on the fourth day of germination you conserve the food value of the kernel. On the fourth day the starches of the kernel have been chtnged to maltose or grain sugar. This is the first stage in the process of digestion and is caused by the presence of Enzyme Diastase in large quantities. This Enzyme Diastase not only changes the starches of the oat kernel to grain sugar, but it performs the same function with other foods that it comes in contact with within the fowl's digestive system. It is the same result that is obtained from feeding yeast, but without the cost. Because of its aid to digestion, agricultural colleges and other authorities on poultry culture advise the feeding of sprouted oats the year "round even where the birds have access to free range. I believe that we can say that it is the same with poultry as with everything else, "where there is a will, there is a way" especially if that "will" is accompanied with a sincere "love for chickens." If you have this "love for chickens." and only have a small back yard you will make a far greater success of the poultry business than the man who goes into the game with a large place, but without the liking for taking car' of his birds, and looking first at the dollar he is to gain. ------------------------ ---------------
"One of the parts of the mixed feed was called "grain". Instead of using plain seeds from oats or wheat, etc., they could substitute 1,2,or 3 day old sprouted seed as that part of the "grain feed" part of the mixture.
"Green feed" -
For this, they used sprouted grains which were 4 days old and older." Green feed" was used to condition the fowl ; bring the hens into lay ; and add vigor to the male thru his diet( he would them pass this increased vigor on to his chicks thru robust sperm).
===============
The question as asked is it ok to feed the sprouts if the sprout is longer than the original seed? Answer:
Believe it or not, I actually have an answer for this. smile Took a lot of looking and most of the quoted info was sent to the list earlier in this thread. The synopsis is , Sprouted seeds can be fed as a green food or a grain food. The difference occurs at the 4th day of sprouting. Before the 4th day, the seeds carry the protein of the unsprouted seed. They are fed as grain feed. On the 4th day, the proteins in the seed meet an enzyme(forget the name) and they are turned to starches. Anytime after the 4th day, sprouted grains are fed as green feed. As I understand it from the classic books, in the old days when farmers would make their own mixed feed, they would have several parts to the ration. A percentage of this and a percentage of that. One of the parts of the mixed feed was called "grain". Instead of using plain seeds from oats or wheat, etc., they could substitute 1,2,or 3 day old sprouted seed as that part of the "grain" part of the mixture. Green feed was used to condition the fowl ; bring the hens into lay ; and add vigor to the male thru his diet( he would them pass this increased vigor on to his chicks thru robust sperm). For this, they used sprouted grains which were 4 days old and older. So it's not about the length of the sprout, it's about the age. Some books say one can feed them 4-6 inches long. Other books warn 1 1/2 inches is the max. Still other books say one should feed them at 1/4 to 1/2 inch long. The underlying premise here is that : 1. 1/4 to 1/2 is probably under 4 days, thus grain feed. 2. 1-1/2 inches long could be either grain feed or over the 4 days limit and used as green feed. 3. 4-6 inches is obviously green feed. Several books did warn that if one was going to grow the sprouts past 1 inch long to be wary of mold or slimy sprouts. Interesting, huh?

Best Regards,
Karen in Ligonier, PA

Last edited:
Hi,
Hold off one more day. The 4th day is the magic day when some nutrients transform and the sprouted oats become green feed instead of grain feed

. ~~ Description of nutritive values of sprouted oats at different stages of growth.
National Barred Rock Journal, Volumes 7-21 International Plymouth Rock Journal
http://tinyurl.com/4b6hyeb
GREEN FEED FOR POULTRY
By C. W. Ashing, Laurel. Iowa
There are a great many poultry raisers who are now just raising a small bunch of chickens each year and keeping only a couple of dozen hens, that would dearly love to get into the poultry game on a little larger scale; that would like to raise poultry and keep enough hens each winter to make it a paying proposition. Of course it pays, even with a few, but it would be so much better if this flock was expanded until it is a real paying business. Those with only a back yard for range have always considered this impossible, thinking that it would be necessary to have an acre or two of ground for range for this purpose, but since it has been proven that poultry can be raised and kept in confinement the year 'round and made to pay, a great many people are realizing an ambition to raise poultry that they thought was beyond their reach. The big drawback with poultry in confinement has always been the lack of a reliable supply of succulent green feed, and of course this is an absolute necessity both for the laying hens and for the growing stock. Sprouted oats is by far the most convenient and best for this purpose and at the same time costs the least. Besides sprouted oats carry vitamine "E" which is claimed by government authorities to have a direct influence upon the reproductive organs of* both the male and female. Consequently it not only produces an abundance of eggs right at the time when they are worth the most, but at the same time transmits strength and vigor through the male to the germ of the egg, and the result is bigger hatches and stronger birds, because they have strength and vigor handed down to them from the parent stock. Then for your chicks and maturing pullets sprouted oats are about the finest thing in the world. If you feed the sprouted oats on the fourth day of germination you conserve the food value of the kernel. On the fourth day the starches of the kernel have been chtnged to maltose or grain sugar. This is the first stage in the process of digestion and is caused by the presence of Enzyme Diastase in large quantities. This Enzyme Diastase not only changes the starches of the oat kernel to grain sugar, but it performs the same function with other foods that it comes in contact with within the fowl's digestive system. It is the same result that is obtained from feeding yeast, but without the cost. Because of its aid to digestion, agricultural colleges and other authorities on poultry culture advise the feeding of sprouted oats the year "round even where the birds have access to free range. I believe that we can say that it is the same with poultry as with everything else, "where there is a will, there is a way" especially if that "will" is accompanied with a sincere "love for chickens." If you have this "love for chickens." and only have a small back yard you will make a far greater success of the poultry business than the man who goes into the game with a large place, but without the liking for taking car' of his birds, and looking first at the dollar he is to gain. ------------------------ ---------------
"One of the parts of the mixed feed was called "grain". Instead of using plain seeds from oats or wheat, etc., they could substitute 1,2,or 3 day old sprouted seed as that part of the "grain feed" part of the mixture.
"Green feed" -
For this, they used sprouted grains which were 4 days old and older." Green feed" was used to condition the fowl ; bring the hens into lay ; and add vigor to the male thru his diet( he would them pass this increased vigor on to his chicks thru robust sperm).
===============
The question as asked is it ok to feed the sprouts if the sprout is longer than the original seed? Answer:
Believe it or not, I actually have an answer for this. smile Took a lot of looking and most of the quoted info was sent to the list earlier in this thread. The synopsis is , Sprouted seeds can be fed as a green food or a grain food. The difference occurs at the 4th day of sprouting. Before the 4th day, the seeds carry the protein of the unsprouted seed. They are fed as grain feed. On the 4th day, the proteins in the seed meet an enzyme(forget the name) and they are turned to starches. Anytime after the 4th day, sprouted grains are fed as green feed. As I understand it from the classic books, in the old days when farmers would make their own mixed feed, they would have several parts to the ration. A percentage of this and a percentage of that. One of the parts of the mixed feed was called "grain". Instead of using plain seeds from oats or wheat, etc., they could substitute 1,2,or 3 day old sprouted seed as that part of the "grain" part of the mixture. Green feed was used to condition the fowl ; bring the hens into lay ; and add vigor to the male thru his diet( he would them pass this increased vigor on to his chicks thru robust sperm). For this, they used sprouted grains which were 4 days old and older. So it's not about the length of the sprout, it's about the age. Some books say one can feed them 4-6 inches long. Other books warn 1 1/2 inches is the max. Still other books say one should feed them at 1/4 to 1/2 inch long. The underlying premise here is that : 1. 1/4 to 1/2 is probably under 4 days, thus grain feed. 2. 1-1/2 inches long could be either grain feed or over the 4 days limit and used as green feed. 3. 4-6 inches is obviously green feed. Several books did warn that if one was going to grow the sprouts past 1 inch long to be wary of mold or slimy sprouts. Interesting, huh?

Best Regards,
Karen in Ligonier, PA
Thank you for the good info! Mine go 3 1/2 days right now. Maybe I should soak them during the day instead of overnight. That would put my total amount at 4 days.
smile.png

Edited to add that my hens are laying like crazy and my cockerel who is around 30 weeks is very fertile! The chicks that I have hatched are very vigorous! I would like to think that it is a result of feeding my flock sprouted grains for the past 9 months!

Last edited:
Kassaundra, (1) Do you do any other sprouts (besides oats) with the burlap bag method? I'm assuming I could use the same method for field peas, corn, wheat, etc., and just adjust the sprouting times. (2) Do you feed your girls only sprouts in the a.m.? What else do you feed them throughout the day? Wondering if feeding them the sprouts cuts down on the amount of additional feed they need and by how much. Thanks!

Last edited:
Kassaundra, (1) Do you do any other sprouts (besides oats) with the burlap bag method? I'm assuming I could use the same method for field peas, corn, wheat, etc., and just adjust the sprouting times. (2) Do you feed your girls only sprouts in the a.m.? What else do you feed them throughout the day? Wondering if feeding them the sprouts cuts down on the amount of additional feed they need and by how much. Thanks!

Yes I have sprouted all those grains and boss, the only problems I have ever had was w/ boss, I can't seem to keep it from molding no matter what I do. I almost always sprout multiple grains together at the same time. I actually think the oats are helped by having the wheat sprout w/ it. Oats are notoriously hard to sprout but when I sprout w/ the wheat I have no issues at all. Yes I give them the sprouts in the am, they pick the bag clean by afternoon. I am not good at keeping track of how much they are fed. I do feed fermented grains/feed everyday, I can't say how much my husband does that, and I suspect he over feeds, he doesn't want anyone to go hungry. They also have about 1/3 of an acre they wander around on eating bugs and plants. Since I ferment the grains too, I only sprout in the winter when they don't have access to green food.

I have had really good success in sprouting BOSS. I use a half gallon, plastic jug with a wide opening. The lid is plastic as well and I've drilled lots of holes in it for ventilation. I soak the BOSS overnight in this container, the next day I rinse really well and turn the container on its side to spread the seeds out. Rinsing a couple times a day, I have nice sprouts in only a few days. I like to try to grow the BOSS a little longer though so they get that chlorophyll. Growing them to leaf stage is a bit tricky. You have to have really good drainage and don't forget to rinse (which I am prone to doing). The only thing I haven't been able to sprout is the oats. I'm thinking I might go outside and gather some dirt to put in pans, or else have a designated place for them in the chicken yard. If I rake them in, water, and then cover them over with a piece of plywood, they will grow. That's probably the only way my birds will ever get sprouted oats!

I have had really good success in sprouting BOSS. I use a half gallon, plastic jug with a wide opening. The lid is plastic as well and I've drilled lots of holes in it for ventilation. I soak the BOSS overnight in this container, the next day I rinse really well and turn the container on its side to spread the seeds out. Rinsing a couple times a day, I have nice sprouts in only a few days. I like to try to grow the BOSS a little longer though so they get that chlorophyll. Growing them to leaf stage is a bit tricky. You have to have really good drainage and don't forget to rinse (which I am prone to doing). The only thing I haven't been able to sprout is the oats. I'm thinking I might go outside and gather some dirt to put in pans, or else have a designated place for them in the chicken yard. If I rake them in, water, and then cover them over with a piece of plywood, they will grow. That's probably the only way my birds will ever get sprouted oats!

Anything that takes repeated rinsing or putzing isn't going to happen at my house. I don't have enough patience or attention span or memory of time to do all that. But there are no digestive issues w/ boss like there is grain seed so really isn't top on my list of things that need done anyway.

We sell all kinds of wonderful glass containers of all shapes at Michael' Arts and Crafts. I work there.
Best,
Karen

Back
Top Bottom