anybody raise sprouts to feed the chickens?

I have had really good success in sprouting BOSS. I use a half gallon, plastic jug with a wide opening. The lid is plastic as well and I've drilled lots of holes in it for ventilation. I soak the BOSS overnight in this container, the next day I rinse really well and turn the container on its side to spread the seeds out. Rinsing a couple times a day, I have nice sprouts in only a few days. I like to try to grow the BOSS a little longer though so they get that chlorophyll. Growing them to leaf stage is a bit tricky. You have to have really good drainage and don't forget to rinse (which I am prone to doing). The only thing I haven't been able to sprout is the oats. I'm thinking I might go outside and gather some dirt to put in pans, or else have a designated place for them in the chicken yard. If I rake them in, water, and then cover them over with a piece of plywood, they will grow. That's probably the only way my birds will ever get sprouted oats!
Hi Lacey,
Trot over to Tractor Supply , or a hunting store and pick up a bag of
Plotspike Forage Oats. http://plotspike.com/forageoats.htm
They have a bunch of other formulas to sprout!
PFO were released as new grain in 2003 by Louisiana State University.
Specially linebred, , not GMO. They sprout like crazy! I love them!
I pay 19.99-24.99 for the 50 lb. bag and about 1/2 that for the 25 lb. bag at TSC. I know it's non GMO, no chemical coatings and, specially created to flourish.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
Hi Lacey,
Trot over to Tractor Supply , or a hunting store and pick up a bag of
Plotspike Forage Oats. http://plotspike.com/forageoats.htm
They have a bunch of other formulas to sprout!
They were released as new grain in 2003 by Louisiana State University.
Specially linebred, , not GMO. They sprout like crazy! I love them!
I pay 19.99-24.99 for the 50 lb. bag and about 1/2 that for the 25 lb. bag at TSC. I know it's non GMO, no chemical coatings and, specially created to flourish.
Best,
Karen

I have it on my list for tomorrow's shopping. My local feed store carrys plotspike. Yea!!!!!! Of course, I'm in NW La. So easy to find. ha.

Chatty reply: I raise sprouts in the kitchen window for people food, and have given some to the gals. But I have discovered all that fine grass beneath the bird feeder is pure delight for my three-week old City Chicks. I go out each day and harvest with scissors and snip them up small for them. It's delightful to see them cheep and scramble to get at the "harvest" from an absolutely volunteer resource. I have given them rose petals from the Lady Banks as she fades from early spring blooms, also. Since I use no herbicides or pesticides, no chemical plant foods, etc., I figure it's okay. Organic rose petals are used all over the world in tea and salads, candy and cookies,even cakes,etc. Haven't given over to finding grubs for them yet, as I think they might be a bit young, at this point. They're barely teenagers, so I'll wait until it's time for them to inhabit the coop and let them find their own, after May 15th or so. Our weather is making me hesitant to take them outside yet, until it settles down. We had a cold storm rain come into Baton Rouge, Sunday. But, hallelujah, the sun came out in the afternoon, yesterday. The Weather Channel has been showing us in the 70s and 80s when it's still in the 50s and 60s outside. Wish they'd get it right for us here on the Third Coast. City Chicks don't like surprises as we always dress light for a sunny day. Okay, I do keep my umbrella handy, too, because it IS Louisiana. My Texas cuz is calling me a chicken farmer now. With all the other things I've accomplished, that's my monicker, since he learned of my new interest! Well, go ahead. When I and my friends/neighbors are having delicious, golden if not orange colored yolks in our eggs, from many colored eggshells, they will be having their inferior commercial eggs from the super market. If they visit, though, I will be happy to share. Between my garden, my gals when they start to lay, the farmers' market on Saturdays, and a little elbow grease to get the chores done, God-willing, we should be in high cotton, as we say here. Would love to hear from people who are doing this new, as seniors. Or, at least starting late with one's own laying hens, after retirement. Am I nuts or optimistic? I've gotten too chatty. Closing now.
Excimer2 and the City Chicks-1 NH red, 3 EEs, 1 Ameraucana, 2 Buff Orps, and 1 retired museum curator/artist/anthropologist/chicken farmer

I am also a sprouter... My chickens love the sprouts... it is .in high nutrients. I usually do the alfalfa sprouts, wheat germ sprouts and mung bean sprouts. The chicks go Cluckin crazy for them!!!!

Chatty reply: I raise sprouts in the kitchen window for people food, and have given some to the gals. But I have discovered all that fine grass beneath the bird feeder is pure delight for my three-week old City Chicks. I go out each day and harvest with scissors and snip them up small for them. It's delightful to see them cheep and scramble to get at the "harvest" from an absolutely volunteer resource. I have given them rose petals from the Lady Banks as she fades from early spring blooms, also. Since I use no herbicides or pesticides, no chemical plant foods, etc., I figure it's okay. Organic rose petals are used all over the world in tea and salads, candy and cookies,even cakes,etc. Haven't given over to finding grubs for them yet, as I think they might be a bit young, at this point. They're barely teenagers, so I'll wait until it's time for them to inhabit the coop and let them find their own, after May 15th or so. Our weather is making me hesitant to take them outside yet, until it settles down. We had a cold storm rain come into Baton Rouge, Sunday. But, hallelujah, the sun came out in the afternoon, yesterday. The Weather Channel has been showing us in the 70s and 80s when it's still in the 50s and 60s outside. Wish they'd get it right for us here on the Third Coast. City Chicks don't like surprises as we always dress light for a sunny day. Okay, I do keep my umbrella handy, too, because it IS Louisiana. My Texas cuz is calling me a chicken farmer now. With all the other things I've accomplished, that's my monicker, since he learned of my new interest! Well, go ahead. When I and my friends/neighbors are having delicious, golden if not orange colored yolks in our eggs, from many colored eggshells, they will be having their inferior commercial eggs from the super market. If they visit, though, I will be happy to share. Between my garden, my gals when they start to lay, the farmers' market on Saturdays, and a little elbow grease to get the chores done, God-willing, we should be in high cotton, as we say here. Would love to hear from people who are doing this new, as seniors. Or, at least starting late with one's own laying hens, after retirement. Am I nuts or optimistic? I've gotten too chatty. Closing now.
Excimer2 and the City Chicks-1 NH red, 3 EEs, 1 Ameraucana, 2 Buff Orps, and 1 retired museum curator/artist/anthropologist/chicken farmer
welcome-byc.gif
I am one who started with chickens in my 50's which now that I am here, doesn't sound so old! My flock loves sprouted grains! I use 1/2 gal glass ball jars with sprouting lids to sprout a high quality bird seed with BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds), barley, oats, and wheat. I scatter it around the yard to give them something else to forage for. Of course, I am also feeding the wild birds and they are looking really healthy too!!!

Anybody have any luck sprouting Agrimaster feed oats? My local farm and fleet carries it in 50l bags. The ingredient list is whole oats and vegetable oil. Will they sprout?

Back
Top Bottom