Anybody wanna take any guesses?

MissMarple

Songster
Aug 3, 2019
Arkansas
I have three of these (only have pictures of one right now as they've been super flighty and this is the first day that one has voluntarily come to me to cuddle and pet time) and they were sold as Barred Rocks. Now... I knew that they weren't from the get-go. They looked like chipmunks as baby chicks but no fuzzy faces so, not EE's. (I do, now, have two EE's with sweet little fuzzy faces!) Although Speckled Sussex wasn't posted anywhere at the notoriously mislabeled bin bearing TSC, I'm wondering now if that's what they might be. They're roughly 5 weeks old so I realize that it might be easier to tell when they're older but guessing is fun!! Take your best guess and I'll keep updating as we go! I'll also try to grab some pictures of the other two this afternoon when we go out for a field trip to the backyard.
IMG_0170.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0163.jpg
    IMG_0163.jpg
    552.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0164.jpg
    IMG_0164.jpg
    525.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0165.jpg
    IMG_0165.jpg
    503.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0167.jpg
    IMG_0167.jpg
    499.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0166.jpg
    IMG_0166.jpg
    585.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0173.jpg
    IMG_0173.jpg
    479.5 KB · Views: 8
glad we don't have TSC here is all I can say., but a lot of the farm stores are just as bad about selling ya the wrong bird and one time we bought 10 pullets and got 6 pullets and4 cockerels lol

all I can say for sure is I have not seen that breed before but know dang well it ain't no barred rock lol

They look like speckled Sussex to me too.

Looks like a speckled Sussex

X3 Speckled Sussex. My best hen is an SS, great layer, never goes broody.

Thanks y'all!! Sure can't wait to see what they look like all grown up! They're so pretty now and add color into the brooder they're in full of (quite possibly actual) BRs, Marans and Australorps. I was so excited when she jumped on my arm! They've stayed so far away while the BRs/Marans (whatever they are...) are ridiculously into riding around on your shoulders while you do anything. Or your head. They just want to be on you. Hopefully this is the start of these three becoming used to me finally. After all, I am the keeper of the feed.

glad we don't have TSC here is all I can say., but a lot of the farm stores are just as bad about selling ya the wrong bird and one time we bought 10 pullets and got 6 pullets and4 cockerels lol

all I can say for sure is I have not seen that breed before but know dang well it ain't no barred rock lol

Oh no! There's no telling how many cockerels we're going to end up with. :th

Haha!!! Amen!!! Never seen a Barred Rock look like that. They sure were insistent though!

Back
Top Bottom