Anyone achieve a blue speckled egg layer? Green speckled? gold?

View attachment 2428576Here is a better photo. These are all Silverudd’s Blue eggs.
Wow these are gorgeous- !!
Sorry Ive been away from the thread. I had a couple of olive Eggers batches hatch and have been distracted with baby chicks and trying to document things so I learn to be a little more scientific in my approach. Im pretty scattered, so its a challenge!!
I love the pale blue green with the olive speckles. How special!!! What was that cross?

I've gotten this olive green egg from one of my EE/Brahma crosses.
20201104_222618.jpg

Yeah, it's blue with speckles. Breeders will bring in a different breed when there are genetic issues and then breed those out later. The Silveruddd's Blue (aka Isbar) had some genetic issues due to limited gene pool and the importation of a second group that brought some problems with them. That said, they do lay speckled eggs- these speckles are a Silverudd's Blue egg trait in many - not all - of the lines I've read about. Whether that was the intention of the famous Monk who created this breed or not I don't know. I've read he died before he finished perfecting this breed. I'm pretty sure mine are close to the standard of the breed at this point and the chicks I'm hatching are true to the standard.... just this blue egg thing now.
They are supposed to lay green eggs. I personally don't mind the blue speckled eggs though some people buy them for the green egg. Will have to wait and see what my next pullets start to lay and maybe separate the blue egg layer. It is only one.
I think its more of a green egg, than blue. It is beautiful - that Monk did well.

I've gotten this olive green egg from one of my EE/Brahma crosses.
View attachment 2433646
That's a beautiful Olive egg. I love the splotches! I had a splash Marans that used to lay gorgeous swirls and constellations. I knew they were special, but she was on e of my first hens and I don't think I realized how special- or a certainly would've hatched out some of her eggs.

That's a beautiful Olive egg. I love the splotches! I had a splash Marans that used to lay gorgeous swirls and constellations. I knew they were special, but she was on e of my first hens and I don't think I realized how special- or a certainly would've hatched out some of her eggs.
Your eggs sound pretty too. Have any pictures?

I love spots, my hens don't currently lay a spotted egg, I do have this welsummer who just started to lay, I don't know if she is going to come up with something better... but I do like the tan with purple... purple dots make me think of a dinosaur egg.
dotsd.PNG

I wanted to spot up my eggs so I set some from a neighbor, choosing the spotted ones...
below...Barnyard mixes.
dotse.PNG

dotsb.PNG

Incubating on day 3 here is the blue egg
dotsc.PNG

Spots are fun, but I am currently working on egg color, (gray) I don't need one more thing to reach for...

Back
Top Bottom