Anyone achieve a blue speckled egg layer? Green speckled? gold?

I got the hen that laid this this from a local breeder. She is a maran cross. I also have a Maran hen from her that lays speckled eggs. View attachment 2580184
Im surprised this is from a Marans. I figured it would be much darker. This is a very pretty egg! My olive Eggers are 16 weeks old now, so about a month to go before I should start getting some pretty eggs! I have 2 pullets that are BCMarans hen x CCLB roo and 2 pullets that are BCMarans roo x CLB/EE cross hen that lays blue eggs.
Would very much like to see the difference in eggs.
I also have some CCLB roo x Welsummer hens Olive eggers coming but so far they've all been males. Hopefully one of my chicks ends up being a female!!

Im surprised this is from a Marans. I figured it would be much darker. This is a very pretty egg! My olive Eggers are 16 weeks old now, so about a month to go before I should start getting some pretty eggs! I have 2 pullets that are BCMarans hen x CCLB roo and 2 pullets that are BCMarans roo x CLB/EE cross hen that lays blue eggs.
Would very much like to see the difference in eggs.
I also have some CCLB roo x Welsummer hens Olive eggers coming but so far they've all been males. Hopefully one of my chicks ends up being a female!!
Wow I hope you get some pullets soon. Those all sound like crosses I would love to try. Please post the pics when you get eggs. I’ll bet those will be worth the wait.

I would love to be inspired, so if you've been creating your own speckled olive Eggers or maybe mint green with speckles, or blue??? please post photos.

I have heard that crossing a dark layer (marans) roos over a blue egg layer (CLB) will achieve darker olive eggs then if you would cross a CLB roo over a marans hen. Can anyone confirm? Has anyone done both? I have two batches in right now. Marans roo over blue eggs/ CLB roo over dark eggs.

I love the big blotchy speckles, so Im trying to achieve a speckled green (all shades) and blue egg.
I’m interested in those eggs as well, I have crossed a black (blue) ameraucana rooster with couple of welsummer hens. Have a 4 month old pullet and couple of chicks.
1C5B3C14-D530-4CED-B47B-9768EF2A76EC.jpeg

Unfortunately that hen died after just a few eggs. But still would like to get the blue eggs with green speckles

Impressive pictures to say the least. And with Proper breeding, further improvements can be achieved.

These guys have it right to think a Welsummer Rooster from a line of Splecked Egg hens crossed to a blue egger(Ameraucana/Araucana would be my recommendation) would produce the desired F1s.

https://silverhomestead.com/whitingwelsummer/

1649785896224.png

1649786326409.png

Last edited:
Impressive pictures to say the least. And with Proper breeding, further improvements can be achieved.

These guys have it right to think a Welsummer Rooster from a line of Splecked Egg hens crossed to a blue egger(Ameraucana/Araucana would be my recommendation) would produce the desired F1s.

https://silverhomestead.com/whitingwelsummer/

View attachment 3060227
Those are cool. I bred my speckled Welly to a CLB rooster and ended up with 3 hens. they all lay speckled light olive eggs, but not as speckled as I would've hoped. Next year's maybe

Those are cool. I bred my speckled Welly to a CLB rooster and ended up with 3 hens. they all lay speckled light olive eggs, but not as speckled as I would've hoped. Next year's maybe
As with many brown egg-shell traits, the Speckling has sex-linked traits, and CLB have genes that inhibit some speckling. So in general you are not using the best combination(Welsummer Rooster x Ameraucana)

Back
Top Bottom