Anyone Else as Stubborn or Cheap as Me?

Quote:
X2. I found that you get used to it. And I love, love, love my monthly bill. Savings so far is approx. $300. That'll buy a nice window. I have a wool blanket by my TV chair if I get cold watching TV, that is all I need. My husband finds my determination inspiring.

I'm thrifty and frugal -- maybe a little stubborn!
lol.png
We have the heat on already, but have to since daytime highs are about 40 right now. Nighttime lows -- don't even want to get into it. Chilly! We currently heat with propane, so I try to be careful with the temp. It's kinda funny, the hubby and I used to have the thermostat set at 70 degrees. I've found that I can get away with keeping it at about 66 degrees now and it makes a difference in our propane bill. I tried it at 65 degrees last winter and I was always cold. 66 seems to be the magic number around here. Hopefully, we'll be able to purchase an add on wood furnace -- maybe within the next two years or so.

Several years ago we figured that we wouldn't be able to afford oil for the furnace to heat the house so we went out and bought an outdoor woodburner. We went the payment route, and it it's paid off, it has more then paid for it's self. For a few years we didn't even have to cut wood thanks to hubby. He would fix equipment for a local tree cutting business in return for truck loads of wood. Now were cutting trees from a neighbors woods. And I'm extremly cheap, I only go to the thrift store on .50 cent day.

When I heated with gas, the thermostat never went above 70 in the day and was turned down to 60 at night. Now that I heat exclusively with wood I can have a toasty house all the time without worrying about costs~which is heavenly!

Here's just a few of the frugalizations I do: I haven't bought laundry detergent for 6 years since trying the homemade recipe. All my appliances are on power strips that get shut down when not in use to avoid "phantom loads" of energy being used. I keep the same clothing for years upon years, treat them well, don't wash them so often they wear out, and am comfortable with wearing the same styles for many years(I only have one pair of jeans and I've had them for 5 years now).

Quote:
Your always making jam, aren't you? I bet that warms up your house! If I'm a little chilly, I just start cooking/baking and it takes the chill off. Plus, the hubby and kids like it, too.
smile.png

Quote:
Your always making jam, aren't you? I bet that warms up your house! If I'm a little chilly, I just start cooking/baking and it takes the chill off. Plus, the hubby and kids like it, too.
smile.png

Oh most definitely, today we're making chicken stock. I keep all the bones in the freezer for a cold day like today. I also keep a gallon back of veggie scraps for when a day like this come on. So around 1 pm, I'll start by roasting all the scraps in the oven and then move over into the stock pot. Later I'll probably make cookies to keep all that heat going.

Perfect day for it!

NOPE!! Im with you 100% My kids whine that they are cold when they are in t-shirts and no socks...The house monitor heater is SET at 60-62 at all times...Get a sweater and some smart wool socks on!

Back
Top Bottom