Anyone else feed bacon fat strips to your chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by secuono, Dec 14, 2010.

1. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    I feed my birds the raw/smoked fat strips. Not often, so far, only 3 times. I cut the pack in half, use one at a time, not the whole amount of fat in one go.
    They go completely loony for it!
    So much noise, stealing, dashing around and fighting.
    No other treat gets them this excited, they just loose their tiny heads over it, lol.

Here is a video, if you haven't seen it yet. Here is a link to it.

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I would never feed that to my birds....because I would eat it! LOL

Your birds should be fine with it once in a while.

3. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    Bacon and eggs! Holy cow, they do go batty! Cute video. I've found that I have to disperse a handful of treats at a time to avoid mobbing. I don't know if I'd feed them raw bacon, but I'm sure my flock would love some cooked. I'd say in moderation it should be fine.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  4. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    I have another half to give them tomorrow or the next day. Won't have more for another month or longer, I don't buy it too often.
    I love the fat when it's cooked and crispy. But I[sometimes] eat the meat 'raw', though it's technically smoked and not all that raw.
    Guess it's a European thing or maybe just my family, lol. Yum!!

Anywho, they were a bit thin, that's why I started giving it to them and not the dogs/cats. They put on some weight, I've been giving them their grower crumbles[finally found some, they were on adult food mixed with starter], wet some of it, they love that, too.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Bacon flavored eggs? Wouldn't that be a trick!

6. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    My chicks went nuts when I played this video with the sound up...LOL! I guess they knew what your chicks were saying [​IMG] That was like a shark feeding frenzy! [​IMG]

7. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    Quote:Really?
    The low carb person you are..?

I do not eat pork.... Unless it is cured.. So yes we enjoy bacon maybe 4 or 5 times a year...[​IMG]

A pound of bacon is a key ingredient in the creamy thick wild rice soup we make as a special treat for a cold winter meal.....

Yes I am fully aware that my chickens have a better diet than the family....
    (The chickens are working on improving our diet further though.. [​IMG])

ANYWAY....
    NO I do not feed bacon fat to chickens... Just too salty IMO.. Bacon fat is one of the very few things that gets dumped...Mind you the birds do get other less salty fats when available.. We recycle about 99% of food scraps in our home, Either the chickens get it, the worms get it or the compost pile gets it...

ON

8. Steak and Eggs Farm

Steak and Eggs Farm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2010
    Missouri
    chickens can eat just about anything. We don't have a garbage disposal, so between the dog, cat, chickens and cows, all scraps go to something. Chickens will pick bones clean. The dog gets a little jealous when that happens. If you want to get more protein to your chickens in the winter, either for weight or molting give them cat food.

9. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    That was a great video! I love the baby sounds they make, those cute little cheeps....

10. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Really?
    The low carb person you are..?

Well yeah! A low carb diet is by necessity a high fat diet. Bacon and in particular bacon fat, is a great way to get the body to absorb all those important vitamins in mineral in greens like spinach. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by