anyone else feed road kill?

Quote:
First it is illegal to feed meat to hogs in most states.

Noway would i ever feed any raw meat to any of my birds.

To each there own.........

My Mom's chickens ate a deer that was hit by a car and died in her field. She wondered where the girls were going. They would be gone almost all morning and they were not eating their food.

The really old guy down the road from me used to eat road kill. He was a hermit and said he lived through the depression in the State of Missouri. He said he ate road kill for years and in Missouri he ate Raccoons. According to him Raccoons are really tasty.
But he said you have to know if it is safe to eat or not. If the bowel had ruptured, don't eat it.
idunno.gif

Eating road kill is not what killed him, old age got him, he was ancient.

Nope.. i'd never do it. I eat their eggs... not taking any risks.
Nasty.. nasty...nasty...

Do you guys realize what is in your commercial feed mixes? The source of that animal protein can be pretty disgusting too.
sickbyc.gif
Anitibotic laiden factory farm waste.....
tongue.png

Fresh healthy road kill is natural and free of chemicals... Inspect the carcase look for signs of disease, look at the liver to see if it is healthy, prior to preparing it for the chickens.

It is a shame to see waste.. What hit a deer with the car and keep driving then go buy a $50 bag of fish meal to feed the chickens?

I eat road kill (Deer) if it is hot and fresh.. My chickens get the parts that are not good for my family. Our pet worms, bacteria and other microrganisms get what is left... (Compost pile)
smile.png

I personally do not like small rodent type animals I only find deer worth the effort. But to each his or her own... Just watch.. as times get tougher you will see less and less road kill left to rot... A penny saved is a penny earned...
big_smile.png

ON

I think my point was that humans can contract some bad things by picking up road kill. Us being mammals and all. If you see it clobbered, yeah, go ahead, but wonder somewhere in your mind, why was it hanging around the road to begin with? Was it cold? was it too weak to catch prey and was scavenging? could it have been sick? Remember mad cow disease? unhealthy cattle were slaughtered and used to feed cattle with.

I know a family that had a member get tularemia. He hit a rabbit on the road, took it home and ate it.
It isn't something that the medical community looks for when they run the 'usual tests."
A friend spent two miserable years with brucellosis because no one tested for it.

besides, the vultures need to eat too.

Last edited:
I dont get all the ewwww gross stuff. People feed thier girls the carcus(sp) from thanksgiving, give them left overs all the time. People gut hunting kill and feed it to them. Feed them worm and grubs and bugs and all kinds of stuff. If you all notice birds eat road kill all the time in the wild. As long as it is fresh I would say go for it. I would just make sure you have them on a regular worming schedule as they could pick up some worms.

Quote:
Before i feed the chickens the dead squirrel I did happen to check the liver and it was reddish so it must have been pretty fresh. Ive read about commercial dog, cat, and poultry feeds containing road kill so feeding fresh road kill can't be much worse then some of the not so good commercial brands. eating a freshly killed deer seems like a great way to good free meat
big_smile.png
I personally don't see why people have such a problem with feeding chickens raw meat as long as its safe, its what they eat in nature after all.

Quote:
FEEDING RAW MEAT its just BAD. if feeding road kill at least cook it first..not the same as feeding the left over turkey its its been cooked

Back
Top Bottom