Anyone else have hatching eggs coming the first week of March? :)

Yep by my Calculations we should all be coming up on our first candle. I will be doing mine today or tomorrow. I hope my BLRW have growth. They are pullet eggs.

I got a brighter light and candled again. I've got 20 little swimmers and 2 I'm hanging on to to see if they continue to grow. Some of these eggs had been sitting on my dining room table since the 18th without turning, others sat out in an unheated room in 40° temps and they are chugging right along, I'm pretty surprised I have this many developing.

I got a brighter light and candled again. I've got 20 little swimmers and 2 I'm hanging on to to see if they continue to grow. Some of these eggs had been sitting on my dining room table since the 18th without turning, others sat out in an unheated room in 40° temps and they are chugging right along, I'm pretty surprised I have this many developing.

yay! :) That's fantastic!
What kind of light are you using to candle? I seen some LED smaller flashlights with the brooder lamps I thought would work well but didn't pick them up in fear they wouldn't be what I needed.
I got everything for the brooder besides I still need a thermometer/hygrometer for the incubator/brooder and I will be ready for them! I'm hoping to at least hatch 6 eggs, I would be happy with 6 out of 24 lol maybe at least 3 silkies and 3 RIR's...My luck they would be all Roos! I hope for more though! :)

I found a 120 lumins flashlight, My old one was just a bright white-whatever that means. I had picked up some pvc plumbing fixtures that fit over the flashlight to intensify the light source. My new flashlight is slightly bigger so I had to wrap duct tape around the base to block out the light but I made it work. The pvc fittings are kinda nice because I can swap them out to fit the eggs, banty, mediums, larges by just changing the fitting.

I'm doing it all in my LG, cooking and hatching.I found a thermometer/hygrometer combo at Wal-mart and another at the feed store in the outdoor thermometer section. I like the wal-mart one much better. It has a probe that I rest at center egg height in the incubator.

I'll have to rearrange everything inside at lockdown, hadn't expected this many to go this far. Won't be alot of unused space in there.

Last edited:
Got eggs in the incubator due on March 2nd.

Candled last night and out of 30, we have 23 with veins/movement, 4 with shells too thick to tell, and 3 duds.

Setting duck eggs on Wednesday, chickens a week later for a March 19 hatch date (I think...calendar isn't handy). This will be my first attempt at incubation! Excited to watch and learn til then!

Hello Bilder, just up the road from you. Mine should start to make their appearance on the 28th.

I had a setback a couple of days ago. When I got back from town the temp. was down to 80°, someone had tripped the GFIC and no power to the incubater. Looks like I'm down to 17 and 1 of those is a maybe. I'll check again at lockdown. May have set them back a day or two with the temp. drop, will just have to wait I guess.

Welcome mjanderson437.

Curosity got the better of me and I candled my questionable pair. Movement in both of them, glad I didn't pull them out. Hoping to see a pip tomorrow, Babies, I'm waiting!

Back
Top Bottom