Anyone else have lots of different animals? I can't be the only one...

You may get people to not comment by pressuring or shaming them, but you won't change the problem or how much this site adds to it.

Last edited:
I think your original title was perfect....some folks just need to make sure everyone does things their way.

I have an addictive personality...I figure as long as there is space I can get more! Heck yes I collect birds...last time I checked I had over 20 breeds of pigeons...(now..how many of each breed is a different story! but I ain't counting!)

I love having all the different animals on the farm. I keep looking for more to which my DH gives me "the look"
smack.gif

I usually get my way because he loves me and it keeps me happy.
love.gif

6 hens, 30 rabbits, 3 lamancha dairy goats, 2 dogs, 8 cats, 2 turtles, 8 fish tanks. In San Jose, CA. Some folks are just animal oriented. Call me strange, but I'd rather spend time with my critters than people sometimes.

i see what your saying. i have alot of pets, and heard the speach a thousand times about having to many, but.....its me that feeds them, cleans up after them, make sure they stay warm, safe, and content. i have sat on the porch from sunset to sun rise with a gun, making the predator into prey, or stayed up all night to nurse someone back to health, as long as you are able to properly care for your pets, its your call.

Quote:
I wasn't trying to pressure or shame anyone. I was simply clarifying my intent. Since it seemed my title and lighthearted approach struck a nerve with you as well as pat I decided to change it so there was less confusion as to what I was getting at. I wasn't trying to change any problem and while I do recognize this site has its downside (people asking for advice and not taking it to say the least) I am glad it is here for those who do take the advice. Sometimes homeopathic remedies are just as effective as chemical ones and there is nothing wrong with younger people asking what ones are know from the older generation before they are lost. I think far to many "tried and true" solutions have been forgotten because modern science has gotten in the way. That's not to say science doesn't have its benefits, please do not misunderstand me, I just think drawing from experience to offer a solution to someone that is going through something you have already encounters is appreciated for the most part. For example, my BO's first egg caused her to prolapse. I could have taken her to the vet and spent an insane amount of money since most vets aren't accustomed to chickens here, and I was prepared to, but I remembered reading about it in my research and checked back here. I was able to take care of it myself and she has been fine since. I am not advocating not going to the vet if the situation calls for it but sometimes home remedies are just as acceptable.

9 dogs, 3 cats, 3 horses (one prego & I may get another), 5 bettas, a goldfish, at least 20 rats (i breed dumbos), aprox 200 chickens, 8 scovies, 4 pygmy goats. How do u like them apples lol
tongue.png

My Dad always complains about how many animals I have and how much time I spend with them, but hey, they are much better listeners then most people I know,
tongue.png

30 chickens (and counting!) , 26 Coturnix quail, 5 cats, and a dog. Not a whole lot of variety yet...but turkeys coming in the Spring! I figure as long as you love them and care for them properly, you can never have too many.
smile.png

i agree with others who say they prefer the company of their animals over that of people lol.
honestly, i couldnt live without my animals and my pets have literally saved my life multiple times being i suffer form sever bipolar depression and seizure disorders, somtimes my pets are literally the only reason i get out of bed.

as long as YOUR comfortable and everyoens getting what they need i dont think theres a "magic number".

i do crazy amounts of reserch on critters in general, im a biology major, and worked in a zoo and on farms and in vets ect ect ect...
but there will still be days ill come to a forum filled with people who have info i dont and ask questions be it "hey does this sound serious" to "anyone have a home remidy for" to "hey who knows about *insert breed here*"

theres only so much reading can offer you sometimes you need personal input...

and i do agree, people that come on and complain their animal is sick and they "cant afford a vet" bother me...
but theres more to it than that.

Back
Top Bottom