Anyone else have Yaks?

how cute!....I don't know a whole lot about cattle, but I think I'd be stopping the between the legs bit... you don't want him doing that when he gets older!! Ali ooops!

I think I may have my DH interested in yaks now too. (At least until he finds out how much they'll cost) Will have to wait n see how it goes. I know I'd love to get a small herd.

Last edited:
Hi out there. I'm a new member, with 3 backyard town chickens. But I'm really interested in yak. I'm working on a novel about a family starting a yak farm. Would love any funny (or serious) stories about yak. Thanks.

Jenny

I also have a question... can yaks be shown in livestock? Like in the cattle-all other breeds category?

Quote:
I know in Colorado there's a whole fair for livestock in which Yak owners frequent, but in an everyday Fair, I really don't know but would assume not.

Me? Telling stories? Haha - I could say some funny things he does, but, he's just kind of "silly" anyway. He often likes to play "games" and loves running around, but sometimes he will start a silly fit out of the blue, even amongst the flock of chickens, which causes a serious risk of a chicken being stomped on. He's a little stubborn, he seriously needs some work with horn-boundaries, but otherwise he's a doll, and a great flock protector.

I just noticed my last photos of my yak are from looong ago. Here's more recently -

5541263299_3367c3f867.jpg

5554545948_54f3879d3b.jpg

5598208453_0739e121aa.jpg

5598787316_d2b45f2710.jpg

5598786744_8655f7e2c0.jpg

5598789528_8170da7771.jpg

5615417964_861e11ecc4.jpg

Did he turn out friendly, then? How are your heifers? Friendly too? Can you have just one with other companion animals? I would love to get a yak heifer, but I really only have room for one. I have lots of other animals in the pasture though. Do you milk your girls? Sorry for all the questions, just really curious. He is a really handsome bull.
Thanks

Never got any heifers
sad.png

We had one bull (him) with some goats and a huge flock of chickens, he did fine, but personally I think he'd be MUCH better off with at least one other Yak.

Some people do milk their cows, but it takes a lot of socialization and desensitization. Yaks aren't quite as domestic as other livestock, and they're stubborn, so I'd imagine it takes some work before it goes smoothly. But, I don't have any cows, so don't take my full word for it
wink.png
Yaks don't produce too much milk, however it is extremely rich!
smile.png
(fatty and creamy I mean)

But, he's no longer owned by us actually. We sold him a little while ago for the fact that we do not have and could not find any heifers for him (finding him was with a very good stroke of luck!) He now lives on another farm.

He is darling. Thanks for sharing--when I started this project (the novel, my virtual yak farm) I didn't realize how playful yak are. I went to visit John Hopper's yaks in central Minn, but he didn't convey that to me. So I appreciate this.

And now, another question. I wonder if you, or someone on this listserve, can tell me how yak react to the first snow. I'm imagining that they like it and get energized. Do they push it around? Any details would be great. Thanks,

Jenny

It honestly took me a while to try and remember what he did do
lol.png
It hardly ever snows out here, but, we did indeed have some snow this last winter.

This is what he did.
gig.gif

5196912152_ccbf275051_z.jpg

When it isn't snowing, the snow on the ground doesn't last much, so he didn't have much of a chance to play in it. I'd ask a breeder that, as most breeders are in COLD winter states.

We have yaks too! I see that someone feeds their babies lamb milk. Is that the general concensus or just one person? We raised 4 of ours on calf milk but if lamb milk is better, I will certainly change!=)! I have new royal heifer that is a day old and it's getting time to feed her something other than colostrum.
Also, we castrated our 2 yak babies from a couple of years ago and have been using them to pull tires around the farmyard to get use to the different sounds. I will start driving them as soon as I get wither yokes that work well enough on them so as not to hurt them. We play with them constantly and give them lots of hugs and itchins! I really do love just having them greet people when they get out of their cars! It's hilarious!

Back
Top Bottom