Anyone else make piecrust cookies?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by skeeter9, Mar 14, 2009.

1. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

My mom and grandma always made them with the scraps leftover from making pies. Of course, I have continued the tradition. You put the pieces on a cookie sheet, sprinkle with cinnamon & sugar, and bake at whatever temp the pie called for until they were done. After that ypu put the pie in. Well, last night I was making a quiche with some of my super-excellent fresh eggs and I made a bunch of extra crust so I could have lots of crust cookies. They are so yummy! Anyone else ever do this?

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I grew up with pie dough cookies. Mom made then regularly when I was a kid. When she'd ask what kind of cookies to make I'd always say pie dough. Had to make pie dough just for that. They're my favorite. They sound a little odd compared to most cookies, but so much better (well at least tied).

Imp- I think I'm having pie dough cookies for dinner. [​IMG]

3. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    It's basically the same thing as shortbread.
    Made some today and I'm the only one who likes them.
    Darn.
    [​IMG]

4. gypsy2621

gypsy2621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    New Hampshire
    My daughter and I make them everytime we make pies.
    we call them dough boys though,
    no matter how amny we make the kids snarf them down , us adults very rarely get more than 2 cookies before they are all gone.

5. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Always. Have been known to just make the dough and bake. I like them just as well with no cinnamon or sugar; I usually do part of the dough each way. Probably my favorite "cookies." But I don't even bother with cookies, just roll it to fit the pan, bake, and break off pieces to eat.

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

My mom always did that and so do I. It's always been my favorite part of the pie!! [​IMG]

7. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    Us kids all ways looked for those when mom made a pie, they were better than the pies. Mom was not the best pie maker [​IMG]

8. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    ohhh, my mom and her mother always made them with cinnamon and sugar [​IMG] They never lasted long.

9. domino7

domino7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    My mom always did that too, but she would sprinkle them, then roll it up and then slice the roll. She called them pinwheels. Loved them.

10. junebug7334

junebug7334 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    ok! I am interested......but I am still looking for a good pie crust recipe! Anyone?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by