Anyone else order the Meyer meal maker chick with their order?

vjbakke

Songster
8 Years
Mar 21, 2011
MN
I placed my second order with Meyer today. I added one Meyer meal maker female chick to my order. I am excited to see what this chick looks like. We plan on donating the eggs from this one and possibly the meat when she is slowing down on egg production. if anyone ordered this what breed did you get?

Last edited:
We got a little Barred Rock. She's just over 3 weeks old and she's very sweet, although her head coloration right now makes her kind of look like a mad scientist. We named her Priscilla (after checking the Mayflower rosters for good Pilgrim names). We'll be donating her eggs to the local food bank -- already spoke to them. We'll probably donate more than that, too. You might want to reconsider butchering her for meat when her egg production slows down. While a hen's laying peak is 2 years of age, healthy, well-cared-for hens can lay regularly for years. We know of folks who have 10 year old hens who are still churning out eggs! But a 10-year-old hen is going to be pretty chewy meat wise...

I'm thinking I will become too attached and not want to butcher her. Did they tell you what breed it was or did you have to figure it out yourselves. I'm happy that they offer this!

We got them today, the meal maker looks a lot like our golden buffs, maybe isn't. I'll have to wait and see what she looks like when she grows a little.

Here is our meal maker. I still think she is a golden buff, or in the "red" breed. Anyone else get one?

She is almost 2 weeks old now. Her name is Dumpling

dumpling-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom