Anyone else tired of all the rain in northern california...

allcrackedup

Chirping
9 Years
Nov 10, 2010
capitola
Feels like it has been raining for 2 weeks straight. my poor chickens have been waiding in 2 inches of water at times and i covered my runs before the rain started.. the ground just simply can not keep up... i was under the impression the rains would end today but not the case it's pouring outside.. when the sun finally comes out i am going to give my girls a special treat, not quiet sure what that should be, something better than just scratch... please post what your favorite chickens favorite treat is to help me with some ideas thanks..

Last edited:
I'm just on the other side of Mt. Madonna from you and yes, it's getting a little old.

We're supposed to have nice weather in a couple of days.

Now, for treats:

You should be giving your chickens greens every day anyway, but a good treat would be a bag of "mixed greens" salad mix, $2 on sale at Safeway

Raw hamburger bits are very popular, or trimmings from any sort of meat you have around.

You could get them some puffed rice or some sort of puffed cereal, they'll have fun chasing it and you'll have fun watching.

Remember that chickens love meat and greens though. Don't go super heavy on the meat but some is their favorite treat. They' ll go nuts for it!

It is a bit much at this point... but hey, the hills will be green longer and our reservoirs are all filled in preparation for summer! Plants are getting a much needed very deep soak, haha.

We had a decent sized tree split sometime last night or early this morning in Lakeside Park in Oakland, CA and that's just one of many in the area that just couldn't take anymore water or wind. At least most of the flooded freeways and streets have been dealt with enough that they aren't complete hazards. Thursday's weather was ridiculous in the East Bay.

Send some rain our way. It's very hot here, and very dry!
big_smile.png

I am SO tired of it. Yes, it was supposed to "taper off" today. Ha!

My back yard, in the Chicken Compound, is a MESS. The flock ranges freely, around front in grass, but everybody is stll muddy and bedraggled looking. They hang out under the trees, or on my back porch. The Cayuga pair, not unsurprisingly, are happier'n .... Well, ducks in in a pond.

I almost wish my back yard was all concrete pad. Or had wooden pathways and bridges everywhere. The the heavy rain would wash away the poo, instead of just mix it with adobe mud muck. It's awful. Just awful. I am not young, nor am I without creaky joints or muscular pain, so it actually scares me to maneuver around the coops right now. I've taken to feeding the flock on the back porch (not the greatest plan) but they aren't going hungry. I give them their treats out in front by my concrete parking pad.

For a bright moment, however, just a little bit ago, right after an horrendous downpour - really, amazingly heavy like a deluge! - the sky has brightened, still cloudy but not that End Of The World dark, and I had a chorus of roosters crowing.

Carl, Alex, George, Charlie, Nugget, I can tell all their voices. There is another in there, too, but I don't know who it is. Maybe Kellogg? I have heard a new, young crow in the past few days, but that one is not part of this sudden chorus right now.

No rainbow, as it has started to rain heavily again, but that moment sure brightened my mood. Roosters crowing, like Nature's promise of better things.

Last edited:
Come to Oregon or Washington then, we get rain pretty much everyday until summer...I actually used to live in Northern California though...The Palo Alto area.

Last edited:
Quote:
I've lived in Oregon. I never tanned, just rusted.

I think the issue here (for me) is that the adobe mud does not absorb the rain all nice and pretty to keep things green year 'round. If it's not hard as granite, it's slicker'n snot and under inches of water.

Quote:
I actually get boxes of lettuce cuttings from a fruit stand at the bottom of mt madonna on my side for free every week...

I'm sick of the rain, I'm sick of the snow, I'm sick of the wind.

I went out to my coop and my rooster was standing there when I realized I couldn't see his feet. He sunk in the mud.

Back
Top Bottom