Anyone else trying to lose weight or get healthier?

That's excellent results! So glad for you. Having chronic pain at your age and looking forward to a long life of it is really awful!

Thanks for that link! It's very interesting and I may buy myself a kettlebell. I need to do some high intensity work but that usually involves impact and impact is what my knee can't take. This might be just what I need as a supplement to the cardio and fat burning workouts.

That's excellent results! So glad for you. Having chronic pain at your age and looking forward to a long life of it is really awful!

Thanks for that link! It's very interesting and I may buy myself a kettlebell. I need to do some high intensity work but that usually involves impact and impact is what my knee can't take. This might be just what I need as a supplement to the cardio and fat burning workouts.

I would love to hear how you like it! I know my early relationship with it went from really love-hate (a lot of "ugggggghhhhh everything is soooooore! Whyyyyy do I do this to myself?") to just outright straight up loving it a few months in and really needing it for my mental health, haha. I would definitely recommend finding a gym/instructor, especially since you mentioned having a knee issue, at least at our gym they really don't mess around with injuries and will find substitutions to any movement or exercise that could cause a problem.

I know Strong First has gyms all around the world, here is their directory if you're really serious about it! I am not sure how all of the other gyms out there have adapted to COVID but as said ours has Zoom classes and in the past few weeks started offering in person classes (masks required the entire time, very limited class enrollment numbers, they've painted big squares on the floor to ensure proper distancing, have bleach buckets so that you sanitize all the equiptment you use, etc.)

There's no way I'd consider going to a gym now even if I could find one open. I'm in LA and LA County consistently has one of the highest Covid infection rates in CA and CA is consistently at the top of the nation in new cases. BUT we're well below the national per capita average.

We take it seriously here and practice good avoidance strategies.

I don't think I could get into too much trouble with one that isn't too heavy, watching some videos and paying attention to my body. I don't need to do anything heroic, just get my heart rate up for some intervals.

I do my Reformer the same way on my own and no injuries to date.

There's no way I'd consider going to a gym now even if I could find one open. I'm in LA and LA County consistently has one of the highest Covid infection rates in CA and CA is consistently at the top of the nation in new cases. BUT we're well below the national per capita average.

We take it seriously here and practice good avoidance strategies.

I don't think I could get into too much trouble with one that isn't too heavy, watching some videos and paying attention to my body. I don't need to do anything heroic, just get my heart rate up for some intervals.

I do my Reformer the same way on my own and no injuries to date.

I completely understand what you’re saying. We don’t have quite the same staggering numbers here but (at least here in Portland proper, not to speak to outlying areas or anything because I am not there) are also taking it very seriously and following stringent distancing and safety measures. My emphasis on the gym/trainers specifically comes from it being very precision oriented and I would feel very badly if you were to incur an injury after my selling it so hard.

I do hope you’ll look into it and hope it brings you as much transformation and joy as it’s brought me!

Couldn't find any kettlebells at a couple Targets near me. Shipping for an online order would probably be outrageous. So I guess I'll just try the moves with some handweights.

Meanwhile, I weighed today. The scale was down 5 pounds which is ridiculous so I have to conclude that it makes more sense -- since I "gained" a pound last week -- to say I've lost 4 pounds over 2 weeks. In any case, I'm happily back in my groove. And I've lost 20 pounds since this time in August when I started.

I found this YouTube on beginning kettlebelling. I think she does a good job of explaining the body mechanics so there isn't a back injury. The reminder about keeping a flat back and shoulders was important, of course, but what I found most helpful was the advice to push into the floor with the legs. That really engaged all those big muscles!

I can do the very basic stuff with my dumbbell held vertically. Can't do the switching grips thing.

It was interesting to give it a try. I really felt my thighs and my bum!

Last edited:
I am trying to cut down on serving sizes too. I use a lunch plate instead of a dinner plate, its smaller and I don't allow myself to get seconds. And I heard using a red plate helps you eat less but who knows? :idunno

Back
Top Bottom