Anyone else waiting for thier first egg?

I have 12 white leghorns at 20 weeks old and still waiting for eggs! I get so impatient. I go out every morning hoping to find at least one egg! And still nothing! I suppose it will happen one of these days!
smile.png

i have 8 pullets that im waiting on to lay and i have 7 duck hens im waiting on i only have one good layer and she is molting or something and hasnt laid an egg for over a month im going mad just waiting on them but i did hear the longer it takes the healthier it is for them but i think it should be time to lay some eggs already my youngest is 4 months my oldest is 7 and a half months so anytime now hopefully after their molt thing which has taken like a month i wonder how people sell hatching eggs in the fall when your girls decide to drop their feathers?????

Can hens bleed sometimes when trying to lay an egg? I have a hen that has a bloody bottom area and I am not sure if it is from the other hens for sure or what?! I am guessing that the hens are starting to peck at her, that is the only thing I can think of. I am a new chicken owner so I am not sure if they can bleed when trying to lay their first egg or not. I thought maybe she is having complications or something. May be a stupid thought I don't know!

Mine are 16 or 17 weeks old (breeds in my signature), and I am getting so excited. A few of my hens are getting really cherry red comb and waddles, and a couple are doing the egg squat... so I know it is very close.

This past week I started feeding layer feed (I use Purina), and put oyster shell in a small double bowl cat dish (granite grit in the other side) which I provide for them free choice. So, I am just sure the eggs will be perfect! (well, I can hope so!)
ya.gif

Yes! I am still waiting, my chickens are 22 weeks this friday and we're waiting and waiting for the BIG day to come and so far no eggs
roll.png

The free loaders are having fun and eating lots and no eggs
roll.png

I have 6 chickens:
D.gif

RID
Light Brahma
Plymouth Rock white
California white
Ameraucana
Wyandotte-silver

Quote:
I don't know the answer, but it is not a stupid question.

If your hen has any blood, the others will definately peck at her. You will have to separate her, clean her up, and check to see where the blood is coming from.

The following is from "The Chicken Health Handbook" by Gail Damerow

"Prolapsed Oviduct, also called "blowout" or "pickout" is a condition in which the lower part of the hen's oviduct turns inside out and protrudes through the vent. Prolapse occurs most often when a hen starts laying at too young an age, is too fat, or lays unusually large eggs. Caught in time, the prolapse can sometimes be reversed by applying a hemorrhoidal cream (such as Preparation H) and isolating the hen until she approves. Otherwise, the other chickens will pick at her vent, eventually pulling out her oviduct and intestines and causing the hen to die from hemorrhage and shock. Not all vent picking is due to prolapse, but instead may result from faulty management - feeders, waterers and roosts may be positioned in such a way that birds below can pick on the vents of birds above.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom