Anyone Ever Eat A Runner?

randomchick

Songster
10 Years
Sep 3, 2009
Prescott, Ontario
Anyone ever eat a runner duck? Other than the small size, what can you tell me about the flavor and texture? Would one runner feed a single person? I like to dress up special occasion dinners with something that is different and visually appealing. I thought individual servings of runner duck dressed with leeks and sweet potatoes would be something to try. Anyone have an opinion?

Funky Feathers

former Fattie
11 Years
Jan 15, 2009
Maryland
My Coop
My Coop
I tried one a few years ago- must not have been very good or I'd still be eating them. As I remember there wasn't much meat and it wasn't that tasty. I prefer (in this order): Muscovy, Mallard, Pekin.
big_smile.png

rainplace

Interstellar Duck Academy
10 Years
Jun 23, 2009
Northwestern Washington
I've heard, and I thought it was in Storey's Guide to raising Ducks, though I can't find it right now, that they are a lean meat with good flavor. It should be enough for one person.

randomchick

Songster
10 Years
Sep 3, 2009
Prescott, Ontario
I think I am going to go ahead and try it. I can have a back up lasagna in the fridge pre-made just in case it turns out wrong. I think the individual runners on each plate will look interesting.

spamee34

Songster
10 Years
Apr 17, 2009
East Texas
I have cooked runner before only one and NO it isn't very meaty. Alot of carcus little meat but what meat was on it was very tasty to me . Not a gamey taste either just a normal ducky taste. Not worth the cleaning for such little rewards. Kinda like easting a cornish game hen lol.

randomchick

Songster
10 Years
Sep 3, 2009
Prescott, Ontario
My goal is for good taste and great visual appeal. I will have plenty of dishes as I usually serve a 5-6 course meal on these special occasions, so the size really is not an issue.
I am glad to hear than a few people enjoy the taste. I can see why you would say it is not worth the cleaning for such a small amount of meat, but the beauty of the dish is worth it for me.

Top Bottom