Anyone ever get a Notice of Correction from the Dept of Ag??

Quote:
Once VA gets the NPIP paperwork from the hatchery, you just may get caught, your real address and phone number may be forwarded to them.

Yep, it is a PIA, but that's what it takes for me to do business legally. Every State has their own regulations, like I said before, some even require an entry permit you have to call ahead and get.

Last edited:
Thank you! I just had an egg auction and listed the states that require more than just the standard NPIP vs 9-3 form. I'd been collecting them for a tester, but Minnesota (I checked their website) basically wants your state poultry representative to confirm what you are already putting on paper, by making you and your state sign an import permit. I agree with many who say NPIP is a pain, but I'm in this as a hobby and don't want some fine coming my way. I had a lot of people who confirmed that they'd never heard of import regulations, I for one didn't when I first started having fertile eggs available, and many don't take it seriously. Missouri requires pullorum free status proof and you have to get permission from the state also to import here.

pips&peeps :

Quote:
Once VA gets the NPIP paperwork from the hatchery, you just may get caught, your real address and phone number may be forwarded to them.

Yep, it is a PIA, but that's what it takes for me to do business legally. Every State has their own regulations, like I said before, some even require an entry permit you have to call ahead and get.

most of the breeders I HAVE bought from the last couple of years do not participate in NPIP that and when they are mailed , it is to a cousins address in NC Va was tougher then NC to get chicks mailed to for a little bit VA has slackened their laws recently so hatcheries can ship here again without so much grief

Va would have never gotten paper on chicks mailed to NC and NC does not have a verifiable address on me so it has worked for me the last couple of years that and knowing others that live close enough to state lines to do the same thing
smile.png
. I know folks from northern Va that get eggs / birds from maryland and ship them from within Va so no paper is sent on those birds and the same goes in western Va I have had birds come from Pa. , Wva, and TN come to me from va folks going across the line where they are and ship the birds from one Va address to mine and no paper needs to be generated
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Quote:
It is the sellers responsibility to make sure they are not breaking the law by transporting or shipping birds out of state. You can buy and sell all the birds you want as long as you don’t cross that state line. As for the seller being the only one responsible, well that isn’t exactly right either, what if You drove over to my house and bought some birds, I can legally sell them to you without needing to be NPIP, but it will be you that has broken the law as soon as you go back across the GA line.

It is also not the sellers responsibility to meet all the different regulations of every state. They must meet the regulations of the state they are doing business in, the buyer should know the laws of the state they live in.

My guess is that the person that just got caught probably bought eggs from a npip certified flock. The seller probably reported the sale to their own state agency, as required by law, which then got in touch with the buyers state agency.

Quote:
You can cross state lines with your tested flock, provided you have the inspection report with the birds when you cross the line. Leave the paperwork at home and the state can/ will impound your birds and charge you for having the birds tested in the state you got caught in. They will also charge you for boarding those birds for ever how long it takes to get the test results back. Also, not only do you need the book but that book will have your inspectors signature on every receipt. Simply filling in the buyers name and address isn’t enough, you must send one copy back to NC State to remain legal.

Has anyone ever heard of anyone actually getting a fine for this kind of stuff? Also how does a state on one side of the country fine someone (the seller) living in a state on the other side of the country?

Wow I am definitely going to keep my eye on this thread. I am supposed to be shipping chicks to WA later this spring. I've shipped young birds there before with no hassle whatsoever... I am NPIP, but up here in MN only the PT testing is required, not the AI. Getting a vet that will actually issue a CVI at a reasonable cost is hard too.

I will say that they really upped enforcement of paperwork up here in MN last summer. They blamed it on the outbreak of Newcastle in southwestern MN and the Salmonella egg recall in IA last summer. I helped with one of the major poultry shows up here last fall too. The MN board of animal health was seriously on our butts for enforcement of paperwork. To come into MN even for exhibition purposes, they still had to follow the import rules. For in-state birds, all they required was a current PT test within 90 days. For out of state birds over 4 months of age you had to have a PT test within 30 days and a current CVI (certificate of vet inspection). For hatching eggs or stock under 4 months, you had to have NPIP certification (the 9-3 form) AND an Import Permit on file with the state.

I know the USPS doesn't enforce any of the paperwork and will ship regardless. Very rarely they will get states that block shipments (like I've heard with CA recently). I think the only way the government is getting involved is if we try and follow their rules by sending in the darn NPIP paperwork. As buyers, we are following what our own state requires for paperwork. Its sometimes when you ship to other states with additional requirements is when flags go up.

Quote:
shipping is where they will catch you if you are buying from a npip because they report when they sell I live on the state line things get bought sold and traded here across state lines constantly and the state does not have a clue we have a road the south half is in NC and the north half is in Va friends that live on either side free range there flocks Guess what LOL the state of NC puts school age kids on a boat/ferry so they do not have to send their buses up into VA because of Insurance it is interesting living on the state line a lota pirates here LOL

Quote:
Ok, I'm going to be the devil's advocate for caution in making sure I purchase eggs from AI clear stock. Read the CDC page on Avian Flu. Google photos of chickens with AI. It's a horrible way to die.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/avian/gen-info/facts.htm

An outbreak of AI in a state can possibly cause millions of dollars in lost birds and damages to its commercial poultry industry.

I understand doing it legally and that's fine-it's why I don't mail hatching eggs. However, I am not the NPIP police and can't know if some seller's NPIP has expired or whatever when I order hatching eggs-let's face it, even if I did research, I've seen too many out of date gov't web pages to be sure of anything that's on them or not on them. I realize the gov't would love for me to do its job for it, but that's just not being real, IMO. Most people don't even realize there is such a thing as NPIP, not even to ask the right questions.

wow! I have given and bought across state lines but never filled out paper work. I live in NC. The vet rep who did my testing knew this and not a word from him either. He did caution me I might get disease in my flock. I DID but it was from within state, I lost my flock.!!!!!! I am planning to import young chicks late this Spring. I hope all will go well. How do we know these rules? My npip vet tec.never mentioned them to me when I got my num.? Gloria Jean

Back
Top Bottom