Anyone ever had a chicken adopt a skunk before????!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm if I was going to correct an honest mistake I would of said "Hey Patman you must of missed in post 23 that the OP is from Argentina. So hibernation would not apply in the southern hemisphere at this time of year."

I would of have responded. "You are right, I missed that post. Argentia is much warmer this time of year being in South America.
lol.png
I must of got caught up in the amazing cute skunk & broody hen pictures."

We once had a litter of skunk pups in our backyard in a subdivision(prior life:D) Mom was dead. Animal rescue person told me that skunk babies must be taught how to spray. Pups rescued. Chances are you won't be sprayed but I would wear some thick leather gloves to remove the little guy. Hope I didn't just make a fool of myself....I didn't read all of the posts:)

I had a similar issue. I had 4 pullets that were using it as a perch. Granted i dispatched it and waited until the next day to remove it. It worked great! Step 1 dispatch it. Step 2 remove it!

Quote:
Humans are the products of millions of years of evolution, too... and we are born with almost no instincts at all! We have to be taught EVERYTHING, either directly or through example. It's really not all that surprising that skunks have to be taught how to spray as a defense, when you stop and think about it. Most birds, in fact, have to learn the song or sounds that their species uses for communication, also. Just having a voice or a spray gland doesn't automatically make an animal know what it's for, without the necessary training. That's what makes the whole "nature vs. nurture" argument so compelling, perhaps...
smile.png

ep.gif
Whoops hit the wrong button before finishing!

That would have been an eye-opener!

Last edited:
If it were me, I would just make sure it has plenty of food. Skunks are among the least aggressive of wild animals, simply because their spray makes them formidable without ever having to fight. They are by nature mellow and calm, and if it thinks that hen is its mother (and she doesn't mind!) I think it can work out. Skunks and chickens have similar diets, so she can even teach it to look for food. I would just make sure it never gets hungry so it never even thinks about chickens being made out of meat. I have heard many tales of wild adult skunks burrowing under coops to eat chickens, but perhaps a resident skunk will deter them. Look into how territorial skunks are... that is an important thing to consider. If it will draw other skunks during mating season, that might be a problem, even if it is a good pet.
I have read stories of bears, gorillas, and ferrets with kittens. People raising lions that recognized them years after release into the wild. Of great danes with lions and deer. Even a tortoise with a hippo! Some animals just have so much parenting instinct that they cannot turn away a baby in need. And you know what? In every one of those stories the baby was a faithful companion of that older animal as long as they both lived. I say you are lucky to have such a unique relationship in your family. That little one will learn a lot from its new mommy and I bet that it wouldn't dream of trying to eat her. Even if it did think of snacking on her babies when they hatch, it would only get one nip in before she set it straight and it would never try it again.
Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom