Anyone ever had a chicken adopt a skunk before????!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would just like to say that I have a goose that thinks he's a goat, another goose that thinks he's a duck, yet another goose that thinks he's a dog. They are all very bonded to their various species mates. I had a duck that thought it was a chicken(a possum ate her head, bless her heart) and I had a pigeon that thought it was a person. I know they are different from skunks, but just wanted to give a few examples of inter-species bonding. Many opinions and suggestions here. Personally, I would make sure it had food and water and leave it. I would make sure each time you entered the coop you made a sound or said something(the same each time)so it familiarized itself with that sound and associated it with you......so it doesn't accidentally spray you-when it can. I love my animals and I love wildlife. Unless something is killing my animals, I leave it alone. Keeping it well fed, I imagine it would be no different than having a cat out there. I have many cats out and about in my barnyard and they pose no problem to my birds. That's just what I would do. As someone else mentioned, it may even become protective over it's space and protect against other invaders. Wouldn't that be something, a guard skunk. Might be more effecient than a LGD!!!!HA Good luck with your little critter.

Last edited:
Quote:
As a fellow animal-lover, I totally agree! I would definately be the type to take in any critters looking to find a safe haven. I say if your hen has decided to mother the little fella, then trust HER instincts on the matter. Offer the skunk an appropriate and nutritious diet, and chances are it won't even think to look elsewhere for it's meals. Skunks are omnivores, so luckily their dietary needs are fairly easy to maintain. They will eat many of the same things as chickens, in fact. Be sure to offer it some meat products, such as canned or dry cat food. (I know chickens like this too, but most people don't give it to them all that often.)

At our house....we would adopt the skunk right away.
wink.png
I know the broody hen might not like the skunk being taken away from her,
D.gif
but gee, so many animals are just like humans and just LOVE chicken
droolin.gif
...AND eggs. Feed the little critter and keep him warm and handled, so he can get used to 'human' smells and life. He'll show some loyalty, but I don't think we'd let him stay THAT close to hens and eggs!
barnie.gif

Whatever you decide: Best of Luck to you!!

If it ends up staying, I would heartily recommend giving it the feline form Rabies vaccine. No need to expose oneself to a fatal disease
roll.png

I was curious about which skunk species might be present in Argentina, since I was pretty sure that our two most common North American species (the striped and the spotted) are not found that far south. So after a Google search I found out:

The hog-nosed skunks are the only representatives of the skunk tribe in South America, where varied species occupy a large part of the continent.

and

Although both the spotted skunk and common skunks live mainly on insects, the hog-nosed skunks are even more insectivorous in their feeding habits. The bare snout appears to be used constantly for the purpose of rooting out beetles, grubs, and larvae of various kinds from the ground.

So maybe the OP's native hog-nosed skunk would be safer around chickens and their eggs than our North American ones would be. I am now very curious to see a pic of the whole baby skunk, so we can attempt to ID the species. These South American hog-nosed skunks seem very exotic to this North American student of zoology!
big_smile.png

oh my goodness, cant ya see it now, the chickens kicken up the dirt and then all of them pecken/rooten around, or better yet, the skunk pushen over rocks for the chickens to get bugs... Oh i hope this story turns out good :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom