Anyone ever read this?

Quote:
Some good points for sure but some ridiculous statements such as

"These principles were discovered over 100 years ago and are still followed by commercial chicken producers worldwide. Unfortunately for the chickens, they have been forgotten by backyarders and hobbyists."

Quote:

"These principles were discovered over 100 years ago and are still followed by commercial chicken producers worldwide. Unfortunately for the chickens, they have been forgotten by backyarders and hobbyists."

riverman, until some one posted the link to the Fresh Air poultry house, I had never heard or seen one. I am learning more and more everyday, by going on BYC and reading how it works for some and maybe not for others and gleening what I can out of it all, and making it work for our flock. Everyday I find out something else that I can do to make life for my flock and animals lives better. Noone that I know or have known has ever talked about fresh air houses, so this is all new to me. Alot of ya'll were raised on a farm or had chickens growing up, Not Me. I have had to learn by trial and error. Don't know if I'll ever be able to say well I think I have finally got it. But I am alot closer than I was when I started, If you have one of these houses please post pics and tell us all about it because it is so interesting. Thanks.
smile.png

Just thought i would let anyone know, I looked up Fresh Air Poultry Houses online yesterday and it took me to ebay where the publisher was selling the book for 13.99 with 4.99 s also said make offer, which i did I offered 10.00 and tonight received info that they accepted my offer of 10.00 with 3.99 shipping so I bought the book for 13.99. Didn't know if anyone else may be interested in getting one, sounds like they are willing to deal.

Quote:
Good score!!!! I will check it out.

Hey kuntrygirl, I just got through touring your farm, I wish i was closer so i could see it in person, very beautiful! your animals are so pretty and healthy. I love how your using pallets and other recyclable material to build with, especially like the bench. I'll have to visit often to get my fix of animals I'd love to have but can't. Thanks for the link!! I would have loved to have seen your Muscovies and geese and goats too.

Last edited:
Quote:

Why is that a ridiculous statement? The book was written almost 100yrs ago. So the statement was true then. Of course now, Commercial producers, especially egg farms, have gotten FAR away from the principals of the OpenAir coops. Packing the chickens, who never see the sun, into little boxes, dropping their eggs onto conveyor belts.
Jack

Quote:
Good score!!!! I will check it out.

Hey kuntrygirl, I just got through touring your farm, I wish i was closer so i could see it in person, very beautiful! your animals are so pretty and healthy. I love how your using pallets and other recyclable material to build with, especially like the bench. I'll have to visit often to get my fix of animals I'd love to have but can't. Thanks for the link!! I would have loved to have seen your Muscovies and geese and goats too.

Thank you for touring. I'm terrible at taking pics but I try to keep the camera near by so that I can take pics of my wild bunch out there in the chicken yard. I still have to take updated pics of all of the ducks that hatched so far this year.

I appreciate your comments. Thank you.

Quote:

Why is that a ridiculous statement? The book was written almost 100yrs ago. So the statement was true then. Of course now, Commercial producers, especially egg farms, have gotten FAR away from the principals of the OpenAir coops. Packing the chickens, who never see the sun, into little boxes, dropping their eggs onto conveyor belts.
Jack

So true, I love your coop and intend to have one like it one of these days.

Quote:
Jack

Thank You, The coop is working out great for me, Can't say anything bad about it. Doesn't smell bad, easy mantenance. Good old design.
Jack

Quote:

Thank You, The coop is working out great for me, Can't say anything bad about it. Doesn't smell bad, easy mantenance. Good old design.
Jack

thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom