Anyone ever tried sneaking some chicks to a broody hen?

Cool-breeze7

Chirping
Aug 13, 2022
I’ve read how people will sneak some chicks to a broody chicken and they’ll get adopted. Anyone tried this with a quail hen? Specifically I’m working with coturnix but I’ll take any anecdotal quail experience here.

I incubated a small number of eggs and only ended up with 2 chicks. They seem noticeable sad compared to when I have a good number of chicks. One of my hens just hatched out some chicks and I’m really tempted to see if she wants to adopt two others. I think they’ll thrive better with a proper covey but only if they’re accepted.

Any thoughts?

I've done it. Choose an older hen, one that's calm. Watch them very, very closely until you're sure that she's accepted the chicks. I found that it works best if you bring the hen in to the chicks rather than take the chicks out to the hen.

I've done it. Choose an older hen, one that's calm. Watch them very, very closely until you're sure that she's accepted the chicks. I found that it works best if you bring the hen in to the chicks rather than take the chicks out to the hen.
did you do anything particular with introducing them?

I’m planning on doing the introduction this weekend where I have more time to monitor and respond. I’m hoping since she has some chicks already she’ll be more agreeable.

did you do anything particular with introducing them?

I’m planning on doing the introduction this weekend where I have more time to monitor and respond. I’m hoping since she has some chicks already she’ll be more agreeable.
Well, the first time was kind of an accident/desperate measures. I had a brooder full of chicks and an old hen that I had brought inside to "retire." The power went out, so out of desperation to save the chicks I put Grandma in with them, and she settled down and let chicks burrow under her.

Instead of getting retired, she lived the rest of her life mothering batches of chicks.

Well, the first time was kind of an accident/desperate measures. I had a brooder full of chicks and an old hen that I had brought inside to "retire." The power went out, so out of desperation to save the chicks I put Grandma in with them, and she settled down and let chicks burrow under her.

Instead of getting retired, she lived the rest of her life mothering batches of chicks.
Funny you mention that. I was just thinking if this works it would be nice to have a hen at least raise the chicks for the first 3-4 weeks instead of me monitoring them. Thanks again for the input.

Back
Top Bottom