1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone Expecting Ducklings?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by myfinefeatheredfriends, Jan 20, 2013.

1. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    Wasn't planning on getting anymore chickens or ducks this year since my coop is maxed out, however DH decided to get me an early Valentine's Day gift and bought me a new coop on the condition that he gets a blue Swedish pair! Thinking about ordering some snowy Mallards, crested Mallards and East Indies ducklings from Ideal (prompted by their good reputation). Just wondering if anyone else is expecting ducklings, either by hatching or otherwise?

2. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

I am getting some Cayuga girls from Ideal...they are supposed to ship on Wednesday. I will post pics when they get here. It is really cold so I am praying everyone makes the trip ok.

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    How fun, sounds like a fair trade off! Yes, actually i am to finish my flock i finally decided upon two Buff orpingtons.. they won't arrive till late spring however as i prefer more steady temp times to raise ducklings, but that will happen soon enough. Should be fun, i have only ever owned Muscovy but have room for two more ducks so chose to change it up to finalize the flock. Totaling it to 12.

4. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    Does anyone know how much Ideal charges for shipping? Their "fine print" is a little complicated on their website.

5. SD Bird Lady

I think the only charges are for small order and if air mail will be neccessary. I had a small order so this is my invoice. Hope you can read it and it helps clarify.
    [​IMG]

6. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I have a broody muscovy. So I should have some ducklings in 35ish days.

7. SD Bird Lady

congrats!!

8. Goin Quackrrs

Goin Quackrrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2012
    Western Washington
    Just set some Welsh Harlequin eggs tonight.

9. DeckDuck

DeckDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2013
    That must be the best compromise I have ever heard of! A coop on the condition that he get some ducks?! You have a fantastic husband!

I'm happy to say that I just ordered some ducklings for Feb. 11 from Metzer Farms. I'll only be getting two, one Buff Orpington and one Blue Swede (both female), but they'll be shipped with special packaging and a heating pad so hopefully they'll be alright.

I can hardly wait. [​IMG] New chicks (or ducklings, as the case may be) are just the best thing ever. Congratulations to everyone else who's expecting some this spring!

10. EggsBeesSeeds

EggsBeesSeeds Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2013
    I'll be getting some Cayuga ducklings from Holderread Waterfowl Farm this spring. I've never had ducks before (I don't know why, I have a pond on my property and my neighbor has about 30). Holderread seems great, specializing in the conservation of rare breeds. Anyone purchased ducks/ducklings from them before?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by