Anyone fed their chickens this or something like this?

Boredom can cause behavioral issues in chickens kept in a coop or run, especially if space is tight. But that can be alleviated by improving their environment to make it richer in opportunities to engage in natural chicken behavior rather than changing their diet.

This thread is very helpful for physical enrichment: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

The idea is to give them opportunities to scratch and forage, to perch, to dustbathe and sunbathe, to hang out with their friends and get away from the others, etc.

As an example from the other day, someone posted about a device that holds some or all of a head of cabbage for the birds to peck at -- often considered a "boredom buster".

On that same day I had a deteriorated head of cabbage in my fridge. Instead of mounting it on a holder, I whacked off the brown spots, cut it in quarters, and tossed the quarters into different parts of the litter. That let them "forage" for the cabbage by scratching, ripping bits off to carry away (with others in hot pursuit), and generally interacting with it as if it had been a naturally-growing plant.

Avian Flu precautions aside, when I have garden weeds or lawn debris, I dump it in a pile and let them dig through it and spread it themselves.

Likewise with fresh bedding -- I don't spread it. I dump it in a pile and let them enjoy kicking it around. :)
Thank you! Yes, my ladies have free run, I just came back from collecting them from the front yard( closer to the road than I’d prefer ). I definitely get my Fitbit steps in each day that’s for sure! The ladies have 6 acres of green trees, grass and bushes behind the house but absolutely love to cause panic for me and wander out front! Each time I would try giving them anything different to eat, they would not eat it and I would go every night raking up the best I could to avoid calling in rats, raccoons, fox or worse.

Thank you! Yes, my ladies have free run, I just came back from collecting them from the front yard( closer to the road than I’d prefer ). I definitely get my Fitbit steps in each day that’s for sure! The ladies have 6 acres of green trees, grass and bushes behind the house but absolutely love to cause panic for me and wander out front! Each time I would try giving them anything different to eat, they would not eat it and I would go every night raking up the best I could to avoid calling in rats, raccoons, fox or worse.
Sounds like you have a great set-up and they don't need any treats to keep them happy.
One thing I do that provides endless entertainment and some treats in the form of bugs is to toss a huge bag (or 3) of leaves in their run. I am surrounded by trees so I always have a huge leaf pile.
My ladies have a coop, a covered run, and a large fenced area of mixed pasture and shrubs. I put the leaves in the coop or the covered run depending on how wet/dry or hot/cold it is.
Watching them dive into the leaf pile making happy chirpy noises as they find interesting stuff gives me endless pleasure and best of all it is free!

The ladies have 6 acres of green trees, grass and bushes behind the house but absolutely love to cause panic for me and wander out front! Each time I would try giving them anything different to eat, they would not eat it and I would go every night raking up the best I could to avoid calling in rats, raccoons, fox or worse.
They have all the variety they need, right there.
If they are in the mood for a bite of a different plant, they just walk over and get it.

So they probably do not want any "treats" unless it is something different.

Seriously, try adding water to a bit of their complete chicken feed, and see if they like it. They may not be sure the first time, but after they taste it, most chickens go crazy for the stuff. It's just as well-balanced as when they eat the feed dry, but it seems different to them, and it is one thing they will NOT find as they range around all day.

Our chickens lives depend on us. When they get weird food cravings due to a dietary imbalance, they can't tell us, and they can't raid the pantry themselves.

When I, or Kiki, or whomever responds to a feed/treat post in a way which may seem callous, please understand that its simply that we value the lives of the birds more than some ruffled feelings - particularly as most high empathy posters eventually come to realize and appreciate the value of the advice offered. Blunt allows us, more often than not, to quickly get to the heart of the matter.

Others come with a faith-like belief in the magical power of certain words, "organic", "whole grain", "vegan", "soy free", "corn free" among many others used in advertising feed to entice those who know no better. Many have bought in to the claims that they are somehow superior, by virtue of a label which likely does not mean what most consumers think. They *MAY* have extra value to you - or not - depending upon very specific needs and particular management styles.

That's what advertisers do. They are quite good at it, and no one has the time or resources to research every claim. There is no shame in ignorance, no embarassment in asking questions. The only dumb thing one can do is persist in belief in spite of science and evidence - a choice affecting not only themselves, but the lives of their birds.

/steps off soap box, seeks another cup of coffee.
:caf

They have all the variety they need, right there.
If they are in the mood for a bite of a different plant, they just walk over and get it.

So they probably do not want any "treats" unless it is something different.

Seriously, try adding water to a bit of their complete chicken feed, and see if they like it. They may not be sure the first time, but after they taste it, most chickens go crazy for the stuff. It's just as well-balanced as when they eat the feed dry, but it seems different to them, and it is one thing they will NOT find as they range around all day.

And that's why I have my Acres of weeds. Which I work at improving each year, with additional variety and plants chosen to suppliment their diet or improve my soils.

(and I finally got my soil tests back!)

^ this is the way.

Keep supplimenting your "grass" with variety suited to your growing zone and soils, selecting those plants which are perennials and/or are high in key nutrients - but seek also to do it "Chinese menu style" - you want a legume (several really), maybe a pulse (which is just a subgroup of legumes), some short grains or near grains, herbs or forbs, and yes, a few grasses. Keep seeds to a minimum - they are a preferential feeding high fat source. So they can graze.

Side effect, attracts a variety of bugs, and helps spread yoru growing season considerably.

Last edited:
Sounds like you have a great set-up and they don't need any treats to keep them happy.
One thing I do that provides endless entertainment and some treats in the form of bugs is to toss a huge bag (or 3) of leaves in their run. I am surrounded by trees so I always have a huge leaf pile.
My ladies have a coop, a covered run, and a large fenced area of mixed pasture and shrubs. I put the leaves in the coop or the covered run depending on how wet/dry or hot/cold it is.
Watching them dive into the leaf pile making happy chirpy noises as they find interesting stuff gives me endless pleasure and best of all it is free!
Ahaha and I raked out the run they stay in when I cannot be here to chase them! Oh my! Lol. I’m surprised I didn’t sweep or vacuum their run too! 🤦🏻‍♀️😂. I’ll go right now and toss some leaves in there for next time they are cooped up!

Ahaha and I raked out the run they stay in when I cannot be here to chase them! Oh my! Lol. I’m surprised I didn’t sweep or vacuum their run too! 🤦🏻‍♀️😂. I’ll go right now and toss some leaves in there for next time they are cooped up!

I have a lawn sweeper so after I mow or, in the fall, pick up leaves and pine straw, I dump it all into either the coop or the run. They LOVE it.

0114221432b.jpg

We are in the desert, so green vegetation isn't common, and they are easily bored with our dirt. So I purchased a 4 tray sprouting stand, they get 1 9x11 tray twice a week between 10 of them. I use a forage mix with a sprinkle of a couple others seeds and cover with shower caps for the first few days and usually tall enough to eat by day 7-8. They love it and it's entertainment for them. I was doing it in pots outdoors and placing one in their run periodically until they started dumping all my dirt to get to all the roots, when it was already a pain to get them started. 😂

Ignore all my clutter, summer is here and we are all over the place. 😂
20220519_080401.jpg

Back
Top Bottom