Anyone Fish, Fly Fish, or make lures? Here is a fishing thread.

hi- three yrs ago i bought a place on the oneida river which is part of the canal system. which means from my front yard, i am connected to the world. i can get to the ocean from central ny. anyway the large mouth bass fishing is great. i caught a 22" 5lb whopper the first summer here. one day this summer i was using a hola popper and not paying attention cause nothing was biting. out from under a tree, a monster hit it. i of course freaked out and played it too hard. the whole thing lasted about 20 seconds. i tried to just open my bail to get line out and it was gone as fast as it hit it. my husband could not believe it. as we were in shock talking about it. this HUGE bass, jumps out of the water trying to free the lure. it was amasing. this one was way bigger the 5 pounder.
for christmas last yr i asked for new pots and pans and a trolling motor. my husband told my father to get the trolling motor, it would get more use.
big_smile.png
it did!!! i have a 12 foot aluminum boat with this electric trolling motor. i use it everyday. the guy across the river has mutual friend of ours. they said one day he asked if i do anything other than fish. i laughed. i drive school bus so i have the summer off.
i come from a family of fish heads. my brother just fish in oklahoma for the bassmasters tournament. he and my eight yr old neice were anglers of the year for saltcity bassmasters last year. i think my brother fishes about 300 days out of the year. he fishes for salmon and steelhead, he fly fishes and of course bass.
anyway just a little bit about me and my family and our addiction to fishing. thanks
16501_bass.jpg

not the big one but still big enough

Last edited:
ChickenMan10 - what are the more popular colors of saddle and hackle feathers? and how much are they?

I grew up learning how to fish from my dad. He is a great fly-fisherman(I'm a bit biased, but he really is). Now he goes fishing in the lake behind our property and he and his friends frequently go every thursday to fish somewhere. I have some really fond memories of fishing with my dad that will stay close to my heart forever.

My first catch was a blue gill. I started reeling in, and then got so excited I forgot about reeling and just walked backwards while calling for my dad to come with the net. I fell backwards over a large log and all my dad saw was my head poking up behind the log and me saying "did you get it?! I caught a fish - did you get it in the net?!" That was the best tasting blue gill Ever in the world. Almost like finding your first egg in the nest box.
smile.png

Great thread!!!

i love to fish i have a 5 pound small mouth on the wall i go 5 or7 a mouth in the summer 4 or 5 times in the winter dont catch much now the wife says that i go to think and relax

One of the most poular colors of haddle and sackle feathers I think is the feathers from a barred rock or plymouth rock. They use them in the making of most flies including the Aadams fly(i think it is spelled like that)

I use a wide variety of colors. I buy little packages of assorted colored feathers at craft stores and Cabelas and Gandermountain.

I think most of the hackle used in fly tying comes from birds that are bred for that purpose. There is a sponsor on Fly Anglers Online that does this. They won't sell their chickens either....
he.gif
barnie.gif
Go figure...

Last edited:
i was thinking of saving some of the chicken feathers so my husband can make lures..is that possiable?...dont we need a lure making kit or something?....can i use the chicken feathers?...thanks, Wendy

Yeah you can use just about any feather for lures or flies. You probably would need a kit and it's just like fly-fishing... It can be really cheap or really expensive. Depends on how much you want to spend.

Back
Top Bottom