Anyone gardening?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by nin in PA, Mar 17, 2016.

1. nin in PA

nin in PA Just Hatched

Mar 16, 2016
    Pennsylvania
    What is everyone planning on growing?
    What size is your garden?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  2. GardenNut

GardenNut Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2016
    Maryland
    I've just created 4, 4X4 raised beds and need to fill with topsoil and compost. I have the following seeds already started under a grow light: tomatoes, fennel, cukes, bell peppers, jalapeno pepper, basils, tarragon, and eggplant. I have lettuces, spinach, and kale sown in long pots/planters outside. I have a fairly small yard, so space is a challenge. It's spring and I have the gardening bug BAD!

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Happy gardening! Enjoy! You may want to check out hay or straw bale gardening.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  4. GardenNut

GardenNut Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2016
    Maryland
    I thought about straw bales but at $8/bale around here, raised beds were cheaper. And found some huge plastic pots last year by the curb on trash day!

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I won't spend the money for straw either. But, mulch hay bales are very affordable. IMO, they give you better fertility, also. And the weed issue is really not an issue IMO. By the time those bales are conditioned, most of the seeds inside are cooked. The ones on top have been covered with potting soil, and very soon after that, the plants you put there form a living mulch. But, any way you go, you're gonna have a great summer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by