Anyone have a rooster that didn't crow???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Nicole01, May 16, 2011.

1. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    My neighbors clearly said no roosters to us. I'm sure we are allowed 1 rooster. I hear them from time to time in the neighborhood. I bought a couple chicks straight run and I'm totally attached to them all. I'd be crushed if I in fact have a rooster due finding a new home. What if I have a quiet rooster?

Has anyone ever had a rooster that didn't crow or only crowed 1-2 tines a day?

2. Tawodi

Tawodi Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2010
    southern AZ
    I am new to this all, but all mine crow. Since he doesn't want you to have a roo, get a male guinea. [​IMG] that may change his mind

3. tiffanyg2

tiffanyg2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    SC
    Quote:I'm hoping I will!!! [​IMG] I'm dearly attached to my babies and it would break my heart having to give them up! I might move him indoors if he crows [​IMG]

I hope you have all girls or a silent rooster!

4. ragerkid2

ragerkid2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    Why would you get a straight run if you didn't want roo's???

5. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    If your neighbor is adamant about no roosters then you'll be straining relations in keeping one. It's up to you if keeping roosters, your probably within your right to have one (check your zoning codes), is worth bad neighbor relations.

I'll be giving a rooster a try this year, we've no regulations on chickens here, though if loud rackets commence 5am I'll be rehoming it immediately. Hoping it refrains until the coop is opened after 6:30am and isn't overly earth shattering. On too small a lot to put neighbors through that and there are noise ordinances to consider too.

6. lleighmay

lleighmay Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    I've had one rooster that only crowed after 6:30 AM, one that crowed all the time (even when I was out in the yard late at night), and one that rarely crowed. My current roo hops up onto the top of the 6 ft. run fence most afternoons and surveys his kingdom, crows 5 or 6 times, and jumps back into the pen with his hens. Other than that I might hear him crow once a week or so. I'm fortunate I live in a rural area and my only immediate neighbor loves to hear my roosters. I agree with EggheadJr though- you have to find out whether it's legal to have one and then weigh whether it's worth possibly damaging your relationship with your neighbor. You could always ask them if they minded if you tried it out to see if it bothers them, but then you run the risk of having to get rid of a rooster in a hurry, no matter how much you are attached to him. Trust me- this time of year the market is flooded with free (some beloved) roosters that usually end up in a crockpot.

7. Nicole01

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Quote:Because D'Uccles(Mille Fleur) is unsexable due to it's small size. The frizzles are not sexed either. I'm going to show the Mille Fluer if it's a hen. [​IMG]

8. Nicole01

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Once a week isn't bad. [​IMG]. The rooster down the road crows a bit. My neighbor has mentioned it a few times and its not even loud. I was wondering if there was such a thing as a quiet rooster. [​IMG]

9. lebentier

lebentier Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    SoCal
    a read that you can crate roosters at night in short crates and they can't raise their heads enough to crow until you let them out in the morning. i am NOT necessarily advocating this, just saying what i read and wondering if anyone has tried it. [​IMG]

10. m_shuman

m_shuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Springfield, GA
    Quote:Buying from a pullet pen dosen't always ensure you get just pullets either. Two of my 3 Leghorns are roos and I bought them from a locked pullet brooder at a feed store.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by