Anyone have any advice about pot bellied pigs?

Casandra

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 2, 2011
So yesterday my dad brought home a pot bellied pig named Booger. i have been doing research but need help. we cant get him out of his cage he screams and hollers when we try to pull him out. how do i make him feel confident enough to go out on his own?

Best thing to do is to leave him be. Put the cage in the area where you plan to pen him with the door open. Its also a good Idea to put some fresh water food out in the inclosure (where ever you may be keeping him), something that can tempt him out. Apples and celery sticks with peanut butter were always favourites with my pigs.

Last edited:
Yep, food is the key! If it's a baby that screaming can get pretty loud and shrill. Alicia has good advice. After the first day or two sit in the same area as piggy and put your legs out in front of you. Don't make any moves to pick up or pet it. Just let it sniff around and climb on your legs. Providing it isn't too bag.
Cheerios are good treats for pigs. Put some in your hand and put your hand flat on the floor. The pig should come up and get them from your hand.
Piglets are born with an inherant fear of anything above them. That is to keep them out from underneath mom when she is getting ready to lay down. Any moves you make towards the pig from be from floor level until it gets used to you.
Once it starts warming up to you you can start giving it a scratch on it's belly and then work your way up giving it a good scratch all over. It might climb onto your legs and snuggle down for a nap too.
Give it time to get used to it's surroundings and it will warm up to you. If it's a piglet it might still scream when you pick it up. Pigs don't like being up off of the ground. So be sitting the first few times you go to hold it. Make sure it feels secure.
Good Luck! I love my piggies!

In my opinion I think there is a limit to how long you can let him sit in a cage, if it is a baby I am sure its not potty trained yet (if you are keeping it as a inside pet) and it is probably sitting in its own urine and poo. If thats the case you need to just grab the pig out. PBs can get sick from chill quickly and sititng in its own urine is a good way to have this happen.

No matter what when it comes down to getting your pig to a vet, doing toenails, and doing there teeth they are going to SQUEAL it sounds like you are just killing them but of course your not even hurting them

I have 2 PBs Lily and Wilbur they are both 6 months old and live outside and when we had to get Wilbur snipped and to the vet you would have thought we were killing him! LOL

But food is the way to their hearts, and once they have warmed up to you they are great pets and love your attention!

Back
Top Bottom