Anyone have experience with Urban Chicken Coop Company?

We are selling our Urban Coop Starter coop. I have ordered a Leonard coop instead. (they have a store 1/2 hour from my house so I was able to really look them over before purchasing. We are getting a 4 by 6 coop.

Our Starter coop is just too open for me. With it being in the 30's this week every night I have to put a moving blanket over the top of the coop and I do have to put the sides of the cup up (plastic covers that we bought with the coop). The problem with this coop is the ventilation holes they put in are right at the same height as where the girls roost pole is. How is that healthy? I cover that up with a piece of plastic. Also every time it rains I have to clean out wet litter. I usually just scoop out he dirty poops as I am using hemp bedding with sweet pdz and that works great until it gets rained on.

I am sure this coop would be great for folks living in warmer climates where it doesn't rain as much.

Our new coop is being built. And we will be moving it in and selling our old one next week.

Michele

My Walk-in Coop is on its way to being constructed right now! I'm so excited! I do live in So Cal, so " weather" is less of an issue, heat is my biggest bane. I long to deal with wet litter! Maybe soon our severe drought will see its end ( fingers & toes crossed)

We are selling our Urban Coop Starter coop.  I have ordered a Leonard coop instead. (they have a store 1/2 hour from my house so I was able to really look them over before purchasing.  We are getting a 4 by 6 coop.  

Our Starter coop is just too open for me.  With it being in the 30's this week every night I have to put a moving blanket over the top of the coop and I do have to put the sides of the cup up (plastic covers that we bought with the coop).  The problem with this coop is the ventilation holes they put in are right at the same height as where the girls roost pole is.  How is that healthy?  I cover that up with a piece of plastic.  Also every time it rains I have to clean out wet litter.  I usually just scoop out he dirty poops as I am using hemp bedding with sweet pdz and that works great until it gets rained on.

I am sure this coop would be great for folks living in warmer climates where it doesn't rain as much.

Our new coop is being built.  And we will be moving it in and selling our old one next week. 

Michele

What state are you in?

I just ordered and received mine. I was horribly disappointed. It showed up with many of the pieces looking as if they had been cut with a butter knife-- shards of wood that splintered out like heavy fraying.

I called to ask what I deemed was a reasonable request into the quality and the girl who answered the phone just replied that they had Never! Had! that response before.

So I just put the $600.00 mistake together-- after four hours, and I've put coops together before-- and a grossly incomplete video with a chicken song, I had it done. Then the directions for the coop extension basically say take apart half of what you've already done and add the extension.

It.was.hell.

And what I thought was going to be a super cute Martha Stewart type planter was really taken over by the waterer- which leaks and is essentially worthless-- and the feeder. No room for plants at all.

I've got no proverbial dog in the fight- but I'm sorry I wasted my money on such a worthless coop. I'd have done better to save up for the Willian's Sonoma coop.

They finally replied and offered to swap out parts-- after! I'd said I already put it together. Really, like I want to undo 5 hours worth of work and start over so I can listen to 'kissing chickens" again. How they made it this far as a company, I'll never know.

We LOVE our Urban Coop Co coop! I just can't say enough about them! Fantastic! I love the storm panels for rain & cold. They have various sizes for all needs. We have had ours over a year & it has held up through all the floors this year in Hays County Texas!! That's saying something! The winters here in the Hill Country freeze most every night, but no snow. The summers are brutal! All is well!!

Last edited:
I had just the opposite with my coop from Urban Coop Company. The storm panels do nothing to protect the chickens and it gets really cold in North Texas. Because the nesting box is vented and open, I had to rig it so they didn't Freeze! Very poor design. It took
Us so long to put it together because the instructions were so bad, and then we had to do our own fixing---more money-- to keep the chickens warm. The storm panels were two
Pieces of cut plastic that probably cost 5.00 and went up top where they didn't even affect the chickens! Did you get something different? How does plastic on the second story do any good when the rest is wide open and the nesting box has an open grate? I'm trying to sell
Mine so we can get a better coop if you have anyone that's looking for one!

I live one mile from the company. Picked up a starter coop in person. I had an issue putting the coop together (watering tube), called them up and owner offered to take a look. I took it over and opted to build me a new one on the spot no charge. Met his wife too. She breeds chickens and sells. They were very down to earth folks. Coop itself is lightweight but durable. Wood screws get a strong bite. Galvalumn roof disperses heat. A little pricey compared to some but well made.

I bought the Urban Coop Company's Backyard coop and extension. Originally, despite the high price, I was very happy, but i had never owned chickens before. Once I got it set up and added chickens, the cons became clear. There is not enough roof coverage; when it rains, inside the coop is the only protection for the birds is in the small roost. Or you could buy their $300 storm panels which, according to the literature, last several years, depending on weather conditions.

The next problem - when you have just the Backyard coop, one side has a door for the chickens to exit, and that entire side is removable. This makes it easier to clean, but if you need to reach a chicken on the other side you still need to get on your hands and knees to reach it. I bought the run extension, not realizing that when you add the extension, the only way to open up a whole side is to pull the extension away from the coop. Birds can be hurt if they move while you are trying to get the extension away from the main coop.

All-in-all, I seriously regret buying this coop. I had bought more chickens than would fit into one coop, so I ended up finding another locally (Tampa Bay area) that I am much happier with, and it was half the cost.

I would not recommend buying this coop.

Back
Top Bottom