Anyone have feeders and waterers that last for a weekend?

We have one of those red automatic poultry waterers. You connect a hose to it and it fills automatically. It works great but it does get gunky every once in awhile and needs a rinse. We also have a 10 lb hanging feeder and a 3 lb hanging feeder. We only have 5 chickens but we have left for 3 day weekends without a problem. If we are going to be gone for longer we get the neighbors (about 1/2 mile down the road) to check on the chickens and they get any eggs that are laid as payment. Now our neighbors 2 yr old daughter crows everytime they drive by our house.

Quote:
That's an idea we could try. I have an empty barrel. How big a pvc pipe do you use and how long is the run from the barrel?

I think 1" but not positive. The amount of run will be dependant on your container size. We run ours a total of about 80 ft. Just make sure you are below your container and gravity will do the rest.

I have the thermostat water heater I use that I stick under the waterer--from tractor supply-it works great!! The light bulb and cookie tin sounds good too. I have 4 pieces of the pvc pipe going into the feeder. I think my box on top would hold the whole bag of feed (50 pounds). We just built a new coop and after using it for about 2 months I did a redo inside to make more of the space after I realized what I needed in there. Poop boards free'd up all my space underneath for storage and a broody pen for a hen I have setting eggs right now. I love having all that space now to use.

Quote:
Either turkeys drink a LOT of water or the waterer is leaking somehow. We have a 3 gallon waterer which I fill to 2.5 gallons about every 6 days for 12 chickens.

Last edited:
Quote:
Do you have turkeys or chickens? I have no experience with turkeys. My experience with chickens though is that they drink. A lot. Especially laying hens. [All that egg white takes a lot of water I guess].

I bought the "Ever Full Galvanized Pet Bowl" 13 quart self watering, float inside keeps the water flowing so no ice build-up. Took the following from web page:

www.cheappetproducts.net
"• Attaches To Outdoor Spigot
Long Description:
Ever Full Bowl, The outdoor water dish that stays full - Automatically This extra large pan is constructed from galvanized steel. An adjustable float controls the water level. Includes a 3/4 inch hose for easy hook-up. 13 quart pan measures 16-1/8 x 3-3/4 inches deep. You never need to fill it Easy-To-Use: Attach to any garden hose or tap Turn on spigot Automatically fills to perfect drinking level - and stays there Float valve controlled"

I leave for 2-4 days at a time. My husband checks on the chickens but this way I know they have the water they need. I have it sitting on two pieces of wood so it doesn't get so much dirt in it.
It's something to thing to check into.

Quote:
Do you have turkeys or chickens? I have no experience with turkeys. My experience with chickens though is that they drink. A lot. Especially laying hens. [All that egg white takes a lot of water I guess].

I have chickens. Like I mentioned in my post, I have 12 chickens. 11 are pullets and laying and I am the only one that waters them. I fill the water with 2.5 gallons about every 6 days. Sometimes 5 if the weather's been warm.

We have a trash can feeder that can go a week or more. I only put in 1/3 a bag of feed to keep it fresh but there is more room for more food. Look on the feeder page but it's just a trash can on top of a planter tray with holes drilled in the bottom. We also cut a piece of plastic to put in the inside that keeps the feed moving toward the holes since we only put holes on one side (the feeder sits in a corner). It sits on top a cinderblock to keep it clean. top is rounded for no roosting.

We also have a 5 gallon bucket that we put a pipe out of with 3 watering nipples that hang under the nesting boxes. I only have to clean it about once a month. It will last a week but I like to refill it every 3 days or so. We have 11 chickens.

With the predator proof run (we hope but built to suggestions) and our dogs roaming outside the run, I think we could go for a weekend no problem. I'm going for a week soon but I do have someone coming over to collect eggs and check on them.

Small, small one gallon pails work well too. I confess, we sometimes buy ice cream in those buckets, just to get the bucket!!! In non-freezing weather, just set two or three of them up on 1/2 blocks. In freezing weather, set them in large, heated dog dishes. Works great.

For food, almost anything would work for just a few days. Anything that will hold a couple days of feed. If they dump it or beak it out, they'll eat it when they get hungry. Chickens are tough and survivors. Not a problem.

Last edited:
Quote:

I have chickens. Like I mentioned in my post, I have 12 chickens. 11 are pullets and laying and I am the only one that waters them. I fill the water with 2.5 gallons about every 6 days. Sometimes 5 if the weather's been warm.

Okay. I guess I was just confused by your statement that "either turkeys drink a LOT of water" followed by "we have a 3 gallon watere which i fille to 2.5 gallons about every 6 days for 12 chickens", so I wasn't sure which you had, or if you have both
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom