Anyone have fish?

Here's a different view... Threefish18.jpg

Here's a different view...View attachment 1536538
You also keeping them with other species? Goldfish have different temperature requirements as they are cold water species. Single tailed varieties generally do better in cooler tanks, and fancy varieties usually need temperatures a bit warmer but definitely not anything over 70. Goldfish need more oxygen. The warmer the water the less dissolved oxygen in it.

We have one very large goldfish ( named Moby) and one large goldfish ( named BG) (who's blind) plus a Dojo Loach ( named Mr Nibbles) and a suckermouth Catfish, ( named Fish) who is photoshy. I TRY to do a partial change every week, but it doesn't usually work out that way, it's usually every two to three weeks. Sometimes more often, never less. We've had the two goldfish for...about ten years...maybe longer. And the Loach for about 8 years. The catfish we've had a couple of years. They're in a 55 gallon tank. It's ok for winter, but I would just like to see them outside for summer where they can get a little variety. As I said, though, the pool would have to be predator proof..no easy task around here.

You can use bigger stock tanks for an above ground pond you can cover. I have a single ancient yoyo loach. It just keeps going. It's about 15 years old.

How many do you have? I keep goldfish in a 29, a 55, a 75, and my big ones spend the cold months in a 125. My outside pond is only about 250 gallons. The key in my opinion with goldfish is large water changes every 1-2 weeks. Ive had my original single tailed ones since 2003. I lost one at age 12, and another this year. The rest are going strong still. I've had various fancy goldfish who average 6-10 years for life span.

How do you keep predators out of your pond? Goldfish & Koi are considered non-native, invasive species, so it's very important to us to keep them IN a controlled environment. If a Heron were to catch one and then accidentally drop it into a lake or river, where it continued to live, that is another concern that I have about keeping them outside.

You can use bigger stock tanks for an above ground pond you can cover. I have a single ancient yoyo loach. It just keeps going. It's about 15 years old.
I have heard that they can live for years, similar to goldfish. I'd like to find a companion for ours, as they are supposed to be very social fish. But they're hard to find. He doesn't mind the goldfish, but he's a little wary of Moby.

How do you keep predators out of your pond? Goldfish & Koi are considered non-native, invasive species, so it's very important to us to keep them IN a controlled environment. If a Heron were to catch one and then accidentally drop it into a lake or river, where it continued to live, that is another concern that I have about keeping them outside.
Predators don't bother my raised pond due it's location within a barn foundation and being up next to a barn. I also float plastic duck decoys and have cinder blocks with large hole for cover for them.

So you don't bury the tank, you just leave it above ground? Do you use an aerator or filtration of any kind? And how do you cover it?
You would need filtration of some sort, that can be as simple or complicated as you want it. Mine is a simple sponge filter that I rinse out a few times a week. I don't cover my raised rock pond, but you could use netting or even hardware cloth tied down with bungee cords. Lots of ways of doing ponds.

Back
Top Bottom