Anyone have Lakenvelders?

Ariel301

Songster
10 Years
Nov 14, 2009
Kingman Arizona
I'm really interested in keeping rare chicken breeds, so I am researching what's out there. Lakenvelders look very nice to me, but I can't find a ton of information on them...everything on the internet just seems to be cut and pasted onto a new website from the wikipedia article, everyone has the same information word for word!

So do any of you keep Lakenvelders? Feel free to share photos, information, and opinions on them, I would love to learn about them!

We have a Lakenvelder chick/pullet. She's about twelve weeks old now, and she is the SWEETEST thing! She loves to be cradled on her back and LOVES being held! I have no experience with Lakenvelders aside from her, but, judging from her, I think we'd get that breed again.

Here she is with her two Wyandotte sisters.
30030_img_0813.jpg

We have 2 lakenvelter pullets. They are nice birds, though may not be quite as friendly as some of the others we have. My DS named them Flighty and Speedy as they are fast. 1 has just started laying. So far they are the only white eggs we are getting. We did get ours from Mcmurray hatchery.

I have two Curious and Georgina. They are white egg layers thats why I got them. They were purchased from Orschelns in Kearney, Missouri on March 26 th as day old chicks! I have pics of them on my page and will look for more tomorrow to post. Probably just take They are a lighter breed and therefore kind of flighty. Mine fly to the top of their coop and half way across the big backyard when I call them!

I have a 4 month old Lakenvelder pullet that I got as a day old chick from MPC, named Evie because she had a perfect 'V' on top of her head when she was a chick. She's smaller and lighter bodied than the dual purpose birds (yeah, I've got a mixed flock of 'yard candy'), and she has a very sweet and calm temperment, so she's pretty low on the emerging pecking order. Evie isn't laying yet, but she's got a nice red comb, and is starting to get wattles, so I'm hopeful it will be soon. So far, she's one of my favorites, if I were going to get more birds, I'd consider getting more Lakenvelders, just based on the personality. Oh, and she's really pretty
smile.png

30246_dsc03215.jpg
They hang out under DH old truck so they got a little oil on them but this was taken as they were trying to decide if they wanted to venture out in the snow!
30246_dsc03220.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom