Anyone have luck hatching jumbo Chicken eggs?

fuzz125

In the Brooder
Apr 18, 2016
Colorado Springs
I can't seem to be able to hatch the big jumbo eggs that some of my chickens lay. Maybe it's a rooster thing, or do I have to wait longer since they are bigger. There is development when the other chicks are hatched, they just don't come out.

When eggs are over 65 grams in weight, you start to have trouble. The chicks grow too large and have a harder time finishing up absorbing the yolk. I'm sure you can successfully hatch from larger eggs, but it's probably not going to be as good of a hatch as if they were between 55-65 grams.

I know that this is an older thread, but I think it is quite important about egg sizes and incubation. Something that gets asked a lot. I simply won't. It is just a factor that I don't consider when I am wanting decent hatch rates. Hatching out a normal sized egg for the breed is always a good idea. It is just one less thing you have to be worrying about when you go to hatch out.

When eggs are over 65 grams in weight, you start to have trouble. The chicks grow too large and have a harder time finishing up absorbing the yolk. I'm sure you can successfully hatch from larger eggs, but it's probably not going to be as good of a hatch as if they were between 55-65 grams.

Back
Top Bottom