Anyone have nest boxes only in run?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jennyf, Jun 13, 2017.

1. jennyf

jennyf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2016
    Missouri
    I have a small raised coop with a run around it that is very sheltered (side of house with an overhang). In order to give them max coop space, is there any reason the nest box can't be attached externally under the coop, but not IN the coop? Anyone do this? Just 2-3 chickens and one nest box.

alibabba likes this.
  2. alibabba

alibabba Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2015
    Southeast PA
    My Coop
    Should be no prob. I have little dog houses and covered cat boxes that are used whenever I have had to move them. Put the fake eggs or golf balls in all will be well!

jennyf likes this.
  3. Spartan22

Spartan22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    North Canton, Ohio
    I got 3 nesting boxes in the roofed run and my new layers used them last year until closed to winter then they started using the nests in the coop with the older hens. I don't think it should be a problem as long as it's protected from the elements.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
    jennyf likes this.
  4. IZZYBELLA

IZZYBELLA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2013
    Maine
    I assume you are somewhere warm year round? Having boxes in the run would not work in a Maine winter!

jennyf likes this.
  5. jennyf

Apr 24, 2016
    Missouri
    St. Louis, so not warm winters, but its tucked into the overhang of the garage, with human door access (from the garage) right there...

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Might work...not much different than an exterior nest with access from inside the coop.
    Oh, except for the access from inside the coop part ;).
    If the area is sheltered enough thru winter so they always have access even during the worst winter storms, it should work ok.

Can you post pics of the situation?

jennyf likes this.
  7. jennyf

Apr 24, 2016
    Missouri
    Yep! The circle is where I'm thinking I'd attach it, under the coop attached to the underside. Just trying to save space inside--because we were supposed to be keeping 2-3 chickens and now kids are begging to keep one more... There's an automatic door so they have access to outside both early and late.

Attached Files:

8. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I would not add another bird to that setup, wait until you get thru your first winter.
    It's already rather small and integrating more birds is a whole another learning curve that goes much better with more space than that.

I suppose the nest would work under there, but it's not that well protected of an area.
    Can you post a pic from farther back to see the whole coop/run?
    Any plans for winterization...and how much snow do you get?

9. jennyf

Apr 24, 2016
    Missouri
    Oh, not adding any birds--no integration will be occurring! There are 6 7 week olds in there now. I figured we'd make sure no roosters (or mortality), but my intention is to rehome 3 of those 6 to a friend. Last year it snowed just twice--a few inches each time.

10. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ooohhh, so sorry, I misread 'keeping one more' as 'getting one more'.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by